Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#139889 - 04/02/2003 10:38 kaRIOke
errol
journeyman

Even before there was any discussion of a lyrics viewer, I wondered why no one had ever come up with a karaoke program for the empeg. Now that a lyrics viewer seems to be around the corner, it would make even more sense.

We have a DSP which I assume could be programmed to remove vocals. Has anyone done any work in this area or given this any thought?

- Errol

#139890 - 04/02/2003 10:58 Re: kaRIOke [Re: errol]
tman
carpal tunnel

Dear god. I really wouldn't want anybody in my car to be doing karaoke! Especially me!

I guess you could put in a software filter to attentuate the vocal frequencies. It would affect the tone of the instruments as well though. Another way would be to try to use the fact that a lot of vocals are mono and centered. No idea how this would work with MP3s though as the two channels will have differences due to the perceptual encoding.

- Trevor

#139891 - 04/02/2003 10:59 Re: kaRIOke [Re: errol]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
We have a DSP which I assume could be programmed to remove vocals. Has anyone done any work in this area or given this any thought?

Vocal removal isn't one of the available functions of the unit's DSP. Even if it were, you have to remember that vocal-removal is iffy at best. Doesn't work on all tracks, and on the ones where it does work, the remaining track doesn't sound quite right. Proper karaoke would be with a proper music-only track.

Still, it would be fun to have a vocal-removal algorithm to play with. Doesn't have to be in the DSP, it could be in the kernel. It would be implemented in much the same way as Voldaj is currently.

And I like the name: kaRIOke. That's cute.

#139892 - 04/02/2003 11:03 Re: kaRIOke [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Another way would be to try to use the fact that a lot of vocals are mono and centered.

Right, that's how vocal-removal algorithms work. They do phase cancellation between the left and right stereo channels. And it works surprisingly well on some songs, as long as you can stand it erasing a lot of the instruments along with the vocals. If you want to hear how it works on MP3's, you can get WinAmp plug-ins which do this. I've played with them, and they are quite interesting, if not universally useful.

#139893 - 04/02/2003 11:18 Re: kaRIOke [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Of course then there are Beatles songs with vocals on one side and instruments on the other. I guess those can be handled "manually".

#139894 - 17/02/2003 23:34 Re: kaRIOke [Re: Daria]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
Anyone one want to try real empeg karaoke? hehe.. I doubt it would work well at all but who knows. Supposibly reduces vocals. http://www.qkits.com/serv/qkits/velleman/pages/MK140.asp

-Greg