Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#26169 - 04/02/2001 21:54 Improved MP3 decoder
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I read in one of Hugo's posts that the 1.1 software is going to feature improved mp3 decoding. Is the improvment going to be in sound quality or in some other aspect such as efficiency, etc...?

Also, in a post about the latest magazine reveiew (Car Stereo Review?) it was mentioned that some Mk. II's are getting improved output circuitry to provide better channel seperation and high frequency output. Has this been implemented into any shipped Mk. II's or is it a future feature (obviously not upgradable via software). I just got my mk. ii a few weeks ago and was wondering if mine had the improved circuit.

thx!

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#26170 - 05/02/2001 07:58 Re: Improved MP3 decoder [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
I second that, my player is sitting at the Empeg offices right now (The Bosnian shipping saga), maybe I would be so lucky as to have the improvement implemented as well? Don't want to push my luck any further though ha ha. J

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

#26171 - 05/02/2001 09:40 Re: Improved MP3 decoder [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The improvements in the decoder will be feature-related. I don't think any mention was made of improvements to the sound quality. I think that the current decoder has great sound quality as-is-- you're pretty much limited by your encoder in this situation.

Examples of things that the new decoder will allow:

- Better FF/REW on variable-bit-rate files.
- Ability to play back WMA files.
- Ability to play back WAV files.
- More detailed access to the decoder's innards, allowing other features in the future.

#26172 - 05/02/2001 11:49 Re: Improved MP3 decoder [Re: tfabris]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
here's something that should go in the wishlist area, but i'll post here since it's kidna on topic.

personaly, I would like to see the player program be more modular, I know they are adding an API for visuals, and other things.. but I would love to have an API for audio functions as well.. more like a winamp/xmms plugin system,
input plugins, output plugins, filters, and things like that

projects I could think of that would want that..

http:// playing of mp3 files.. if you have ethernet, you can play live streams.

http:// output.. (icecast) what would it be like to be on a road trip, with 802.11b in one car with an empeg, and another car with a laptop listening to the same music as car #1.

mic input, speaker output of cell phone, ham radio, inter-car communications via ethernet port.

12gig red mk2 -- 080000125

#26173 - 05/02/2001 11:58 Re: Improved MP3 decoder [Re: SuperQ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It has long been our hope that the plug-in architecture, when it's available, wouldn't be limited to just the visuals.

I don't know if this is in their long-term plans or not. But things like audio processing plug-ins (Rjlov's volume-adjustment mod comes to mind) would be prime candidates for plug-ins.