Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#40226 - 04/10/2001 10:42 Play list from a serial cable
karimg
new poster

I'm currently working on a Palm program which displays: play list, battery, track time, play list,...and controls the player (play, stop, next, prev,...). Here's a screen shot.
Everything seems to be working fine except to get the play list the unit has to be HotSync'ed (I had to write a HotSync conduit which reads the exported list from emplode). It would be nice if I could get the play list from the serial connection.
If anyone knows which char(s) need to be sent to retrieve the list, or at least the FIDs, please let me know.

#40227 - 04/10/2001 11:42 Re: Play list from a serial cable [Re: karimg]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Unfortunately, there is no single readable file that contains the same information that's in the CSV file. Your program would have to read in each of the *1 FIDs and build the playlist structure like emplode does. There IS a file, /empeg/var/database , but it's proprietary and binary.
The CSV file is your best bet, although your program would still have to build the playlist tree from it.

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#40228 - 05/10/2001 04:05 Re: Play list from a serial cable [Re: Dearing]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

This is not entirely true. I guess the /empeg/var/database file should be decodable, if one tried to do so (I might try this some day, but certainly not this weekend). empeg people might even be willing to leak the database fiel format if one asked really politely.
From what Hugo said on this BBS (don't know in which thread, sorry, but it was in the past 7-14 days), the database is mainly plain concatination of the song/playlist infos. It still is binary though.
The static database (/drive0/var/database) is available for the download tool (my memory is fails again as to who did that tool) as FID 3, the playlists database (/drive0/var/playlists) is available as FID 5. Also available is FID 4 which should be the dynamic equivalent of FID 3, which means the database that the player actually has in RAM. This might be different from the one stored on disc (FID 3) when the player has rebuilt its database while booting (it rebuilds it to RAM only, the static database is only stored during sync).

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#40229 - 05/10/2001 04:19 Re: Play list from a serial cable [Re: smu]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
It would be nice if I could get the play list from the serial connection.

Empeg people might even be willing to leak the database file format if one asked really politely.

The answer to both these questions is "Emptool". I don't know how easy it would be to port to Palm though.

Peter (who swears he's posted that to this thread once already; if anyone sees my post wandering lost around some other thread, could they gently lead it home? ta)

#40230 - 05/10/2001 07:10 Re: Play list from a serial cable [Re: peter]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Yes, the database file is readable and decodable with the info from emptool .It seems all empeg files use the same kind of structure, as the font-files were similarly organized

Frank van Gestel

#40231 - 05/10/2001 11:15 Re: Play list from a serial cable [Re: smu]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Thanks for the correction. I've seen those files on the drive, but not their explanation on this BBS.

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."