Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#55229 - 05/01/2002 00:25 Shell for cross-compiling
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay. I didn't reply earlier because I didn't have a Linux machine that could run the cross-compiler. However, after unsuccessfully trying to help jheathco get one up and running on his Win32 w/ Cygwin, I realized that I could build a cross-compiler on my (mostly unused) Sparc Solaris machine. After many hours of babysitting compiles and hacking mlord's i386-Linux-specific Makefiles and whatnot, I've finally gotten a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 -> arm-empeg-linux cross-compiler working! (Well, I can get the empeg to print out ``Hello World'', at any rate, in both C with stdio and C++ with iostream.) I've got no problems setting up accounts for folks. However, it's behind my firewall, so it's not currently directly accessible, unless you have access to the 6bone. Also, it's low on disk space, so I'll have to implement pretty strict quotas.

Accounts will be shell accounts, accessible solely via ssh, and only using RSA or DSA keys for authentication. In the future, I might put up a web server to do anonymous compiling, but I'm not sure that this is 100% feasible, and, besides, that means I'll have to compile up a web server with PHP, which is likely to take a while.

So -- for right now, this is an initial promise that I'll get it set up in the very near future so that anyone can get an account. If you have access to the 6bone, you get first dibs, solely because I'm lazy and for general coolness factor. However, I should have IPv4 access working by Saturday night -- Monday night at the latest.

Many thanks to jheathco for pressing me into doing this and to mlord and peter for bothering to put up easy instructions for building an empeg cross-compiler, even if their makefile is full of Linux-centrism and GNU-only options .

Anyway, for now, I'm off to bed. If you want an account, please email me directly.

#55230 - 09/01/2002 14:03 Re: Shell for cross-compiling [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay. It's mostly done. It's well usable, though. Just needs a few tweaks to make it easier for me to administer. I've been compiling stuff with it and it seems to work flawlessly. I need to tweak a few more things on it, but I'm not gonna bother if no one wants this service. Any takers?

#55231 - 09/01/2002 20:28 Re: Shell for cross-compiling [Re: wfaulk]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
It's working great for me as is

#55232 - 28/02/2003 12:24 Re: Shell for cross-compiling [Re: wfaulk]
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
I would really apreciate access to the cross-compilation service. I will work with very small stuff so I don't think it will impact your hd usage in any way. I have struggled for over a week to set up a development environment in my XP machine, installing cygwin, and trying to build a toolchain. Just toooo many hurdles, too many hours lost. If you can still offer this, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

#55233 - 28/02/2003 14:31 Re: Shell for cross-compiling [Re: jules]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You'll need a secure shell client (putty is a good free windows one). You'll need to generate an RSA ssh2 (not ssh1) key pair with it and send the public key portion of it to me. (In putty, you can just copy and paste the key info as it appears on the key generation window.) Also, pick a username. I'll PM you connection info once you get that to me (PM is fine).

These rules apply to anyone who wants access.

#55234 - 28/02/2003 16:56 Re: Shell for cross-compiling [Re: wfaulk]
jules

Thanks a bunch. I PMd you with the public key and user name.

#55235 - 01/03/2003 12:04 Re: Shell for cross-compiling [Re: wfaulk]
jules

Public key attached. Thanks!

Attachments
144355-Public ssh2 rsa key (251 downloads)