Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24533 - 10/01/2001 18:27 Kill the Volume and AUX
MarkM
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
AUX & Volume Hack files
Here's a modified linux kernel for the empeg-player created to deal with IR conflicts when you're using a Kenwood head unit. This has only been tested on a two drive empeg player, I cannot confirm that this will function correctly in a single drive player. Use it at your own risk.

I couldn't reliably defeat the volume using the IR Translator, so the volume 0db lock is a kernel mod. I'm sure that this could be accomplished using Frank van Gestel's IR Translator with further testing.

1) TomG programmed the kernel per Hugo Fiennes' idea. The kernel defeats the Volume completely, it is locked at 0db no matter what happens, whether using the IR remote or manually turning the volume control. If you don't want this feature, you should not install this kernel. Keep in mind that the empeg volume display is not defeated at this time.

2) Frank van Gestel created the patch for the IR Translator. The AUX (Tape button on Kenwood remote) is disabled using this method. The included 'empeg_ircodes" file kills the AUX (Tape button on Kenwood remote).

A modified version of Frank's original instructions is also included in the zip file.

Thanks to all who have helped! Frank, TomG, Hugo, tfabris and others!

MarkM

------------------------------------------

Volume Hack from Hugo Fiennes:

arch/arm/special/empeg_audio2.c

Easiest way is to simply patch mixer_setvolume() to use volume 90 (this is 100% - 100 is 10db gain) at all times. Probably best to do it like this:

dsp_write(Y_VAT,volume_table[90 /* was vol */ ].vat);
dsp_write(Y_VGA,volume_table[90 /* was vol */ ].vga);

...and not actually change the value stored in dev->volume otherwise it may confuse the player. Actually, I'm pretty sure it reads back, so the volume control might just work correctly, but be "stuck" at 100%.

#24534 - 26/01/2001 17:41 Re: Kill the Volume and AUX [Re: MarkM]
MarkM
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I've modified the empeg_ircodes quite a bit since I last posted this fix. Thought I'd throw up the new configuration.

Attachments
24890-empeg_ircodes.zip (113 downloads)