I've just been playing with v116.

Now that kernel ftp support is on place I was wondering if this suggestion for a potentially useful Hijack request might be useful to others.

I suggest that we add a special device either to the kernel or [more simply] just have a special device name reserved within the ftp process in the Hijack kernel that allows us to upload .zimage files to the empeg via ftp.

This special device name is used by the hijack kernel to upload the zimage files containing the kernel image to be flashed.
The zimage file being ftp'ed is then 'received' by the kernel and buffered [in memory as the disks are probably mounted ro] .
Once the zimage file is all received its then checked for validity [doing some basic checks on the .zimage file - I am not sure what if any checks are done other than its a empeg kernel image].

Once the file is verified as all ok, the kernel then opens /dev/flash [and whatever devices] and does whatever Tony Fabris's upload program does to erase and reprogram the kernel flash area - but this is done on the empeg, by the kernel itself. So it becomes a self-flashing system.
[then of coruse it reboots itself].

This would mean that we could upload future upgrades to the kernel ala Hijack by simply ftp'ing the zimage file to /dev/kernel_flash or whatever its called.

I would rather that the kernel do this as its available 'in the box' once you have a Hijack kernel later than v117 or whatever implements this feature.

For major upgrades that changes files on the Empeg then the emplode upgrade process would still be used, but for the kernel changes in between these releases being able to ftp the files would mean we can install hijack kernel updates in empegs even if they are in the home docking stations etc.

I've seen other embedded devices offer similar capabilities and the usual caveats apply - like if you lose power half way through - but the same caveats apply now via the serial updates.
In my experience provided the flash routines are pretty failsafe theres not much that can go wrong.

Any comments?