Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64936 - 30/01/2002 23:19 Installation and volume control question
jevans142
new poster

I just ordered a 30GB Rio Car Player from Sonic Blue. I spoke to one of the customer support people and was assured that they still had some and that I would get it. The question is about the volume control in my installation. I was unable to purchase a tuner and I cannot pay what people are paying on Ebay so I am going to install this with my current CD/Tuner head unit. It is an Alpine and has subwoofer out as well as a few other things I wanted to keep anyway. My Alpine has an Aux input that I will be using. Is there any way to set the volume (either in hardware or software) so that it cannot be changed from the Rio? In other words, I want it set to optimum and then only have to deal with the volume control on the Apline unit. Thanks for any help with this. I searched the FAQ without success before posting so if I missed the answer to this somewhere, I apologize.

#64937 - 30/01/2002 23:27 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: jevans142]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
Hmm.. should be in the FAQ's. Goto: Setting -> Volume and select: Fix at current level..

-Greg

#64938 - 30/01/2002 23:32 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: mandiola]
jevans142
new poster

Thanks. Since I haven't received the unit yet, I haven't been able to read the docs or play with the menus. I also missed that in the FAQ. I appreciate your quick response!

#64939 - 31/01/2002 12:11 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: mandiola]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Goto: Setting -> Volume and select: Fix at current level..

Note that this feature is only in the Beta software. New users should avoid 2.0beta7 for a while. In fact, the new internal betas are shaping up nicely and we will probably see a new public beta pretty soon.

#64940 - 31/01/2002 17:32 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: tfabris]
redbutt2

Loc: San Diego, CA
Define new users and why they should avoid beta7? That was the first thing I did when I got mine...then again I'm in the computer industry and know that I get what I get when I start messing around with beta software.

#64941 - 31/01/2002 17:50 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: redbutt2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Beta 7 reboots and locks up a lot, and there is a bug in emplode that deletes tracks. There's other more minor stuff, but that's the main part. Thread.

"New users" would be people who want their brand new car stereo to work correctly out of the box and aren't willing to have their car stereo crash on them.

Remember that 1.03 is very stable and is a good piece of software in its own right. It's certainly not feature-poor and most people would be perfectly happy living with it for a long time.

#64942 - 31/01/2002 20:11 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: tfabris]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Heh, I had it about 24 hours and mafisto came over and reloaded it for me, I barely got to try 1.03, but I haven't had any problems yet with the new one.

Jevans142 - Congrats on the purchase, these things do live up to your expectations. I plug mine into an aux input on a Sony deck. I set the volume to 0, and just leave it. After a week or so of getting used to the controls, it hasn't been a problem knocking it off that setting. So - it might be a good feature for you, but I wouldn't sweat it too bad if you don't have it, I haven't had an issue anyways.

#64943 - 01/02/2002 09:30 Re: Installation and volume control question [Re: tracerbullet]
jevans142
new poster

Thanks for the replies guys. I am really getting excited about having so much music in my car as well as the general geek factor involved in making it all work. Initially I will be one of the "new users" that Tony describes...just wanting to get some tunes in my car, but I am a geek at heart and will soon start to delve deeper into the software and hardware to see what I can do with it. I am glad to hear that it is a great purchase. I hope now that they actually ship the thing. It has been listed as "shippable" for a week now. They were moving the warehouse or something so I know they were going to be closed for a bit, so maybe that it the cause of the delay. See ya guys!