Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61452 - 20/01/2002 14:54 Install In A 96 Camaro?
KungFuCow
enthusiast

My 30GB Empeg should be rolling in tomorrow and I am already starting to plan the installation. I have spoken with one shop in particular that did an Empeg install for someone else on this board last year but they seem to want to do a bit more work than what I want done.

Essentially, all I want to do is add the Empeg. I don't want to add an amp, I don't want to replace the speakers. I really don't care if my car has enough bass to blow out the back window. The factory setup sounds fine to me. The existing factory system is the Bose setup so it has it's own amplifier. I just need a way to adapt the Empeg over to work with it.

So, has anyone attempted such a thing and can maybe give me some feedback? In searching I didn't see where anyone had installed one of these in a Camaro. Also, I am in the Dallas, Texas area. Has anyone used any installation shops here for their install with any success?

Thanks!

Edited by KungFuCow (20/01/2002 14:55)

#61453 - 20/01/2002 14:59 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Check out the thread nearby about the 1999 Dodge Durango. It has details of a product called the OEM-1 which allows you to connect the empeg directly to the factory radio (and I think Bose is one of the supported ones).

This is also in the FAQ, by the way. Please give that a scan.

(edit: I just updated the FAQ entry to make the link to the OEM-1 more obvious and to show Tod's durango as an example).

#61454 - 20/01/2002 15:01 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: tfabris]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Thanks, Tony. My original thought was also the OEM-1 however the shop I spoke with said that would not work in my application and that I would need to add a new amp and speakers. The installer told me that installing the OEM-1 with the Empeg would result in really low volume levels. Should I start looking for another shop

Edited by KungFuCow (20/01/2002 15:07)

#61455 - 20/01/2002 15:15 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Depending on how that Bose system works, your installer shop could be right.

Then again, they could be wrong. When we called Crutchfield, they said they didn't think any adapter at all was needed for the Durango, and it was the first time Crutchfield was mistaken (in my experience).

#61456 - 20/01/2002 15:22 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
I used an OEM-1 adaptor for the Bose system in my 2001 Yukon. Sounds awesome. http://www.go2pac.net/flash800v2.html to find proper A & B cables to attach to OEM-1.

#61457 - 21/01/2002 13:36 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
redbutt2

Loc: San Diego, CA
In my Pathfinder post, I mentioned that the install shops I went to told me that this kind of installation was not even possible. Call up Crutchfield and get the part and try it yourself if you can. Chances are the install shop just wants to sell you something to make more money off you.

#61458 - 21/01/2002 15:16 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: redbutt2]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

I went to an installation shop today that AvatarTX used and set up an appointment with them. I also called PAC this morning and talked to one of their techs about what I needed to make this install happen. He gave me some part numbers so I took them with me to the installation shop.

Interestingly enough, the installer told me not to listen to PAC that they didn't know what they were talking about. The installer plans to use 2 other products PAC makes to do the installation and since PAC's website seems to be down, I can't link the products in this post.

I quized him about any possible side effects of his method and he assured me that it would work fine. Hopefully he knows what he's talking about.

When PAC's website comes back up, Ill link the products and see if anyone has any feedback on their usage.

#61459 - 21/01/2002 15:17 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: redbutt2]
rtundo
addict

The OEM-1 and proper install kit should literally give you a "plug-in" install. Except slicing to the riocar harness of course.

#61460 - 21/01/2002 15:27 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: rtundo]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Yea, thats what I told them and again, they said that wasn't what I wanted. Seems like they want to use two line out converters, which looked like to me it did the exact opposite of what I wanted to do but I don't know anything about car stereo installation so I'm kind of at their mercy.

#61461 - 21/01/2002 15:29 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Looks like PAC's website just popped back up.

http://www.go2pac.net/products/sni35.html

That's what they want to use.

#61462 - 21/01/2002 15:44 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
rtundo
addict

Yeah, I'd have to kindly disagree with them. The riocar and BOSE amp are both at line level (and match pretty nicely).

The parts I think you want are:
1)RAD-RCA
2)OEM-1 box
3)AMP-GM21 or AMP-GM32 depending on 12 or 32 pin harness. That's the way I did it. (Except I needed a different AMP- cable)

#61463 - 21/01/2002 16:33 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: rtundo]
rtundo
addict

Actually I stand corrected. That convertor may work because it's bidirectional. Plug the riocar into the rca jacks and wire the other side to the Bose (Car harness). I would however tell them that you don't want the car harness cut but want an adaptor used. Good Luck

Bob

#61464 - 21/01/2002 20:33 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: rtundo]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Well, after speaking to several install shops today, here is what the final tally ended up on installation methods.

2 shops wanted to use line level converters. Apparently that's common practice with Bose systems according to these two shops.

1 shop wants to just use a harness with line inputs and wire it up direct with no interface of any sort

1 shop says it can't be done and I have to replace everything.

Given that I guess I'm going to go with my original option and see how things turn out. I searched valiantly for a shop here in my neck of the woods that used the OEM-1s but the only shop I found that even had one had no harness for it and had never used it.

Crossing my fingers, I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

#61465 - 22/01/2002 21:07 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Well, all's well that ends well. Custom Stereo And Cellular did my installation today in a little over an hour. They did end up using 2 line converters instead of an OEM-1 and everything worked out great. The installer was really in awe over the Empeg and told me that he doesn't get impressed by decks anymore but that this was by far the most awesome thing he had ever seen. They went on and on about how great it sounded and they were right. It turned out very well and sounds even better than the Kenwood deck I had in their before.

Anyone in the Dallas, Texas area, I would recommend Custom Stereo and Cellular in Lewisville. They did right by me.

#61466 - 12/06/2002 21:28 Re: Install In A 96 Camaro? [Re: KungFuCow]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

I wanted to bring this back up to the top in case anyone manages to find it via a search looking for an installer in Dallas. After removing my Empeg from my Camaro when I traded it in, I discovered basically that Custom Stereo ripped me off. They didnt use the line converters as they had said they did, instead the just used a piece of RCA cable, stripped it and crimped it to my existing wiring harness. Very ghetto install. They charged me for the line converters, they charged me for a new wiring harness and they in fact used all my old stuff.

I had a touch of the flu when I had the installation done so I didnt take the time to go over it with the guy when I picked the car up but I notice a few days later that they hadn't secured the unit from behind like I had asked, etc. Overall they just did a very poor installation job once you got in there and saw exactly what was done. I probably would have looked at it closer had someone on the forums not recommended them and I not have been so feverish. I just wanted to get home and back in bed.

In trying to deal with the district manager for Custom Stereo, he has been totally unwilling to make any kinds of ammends and has gone as far as calling me a liar regarding the whole situation. At present I have turned the case over to the Better Business Bureau in hopes of getting some satisfaction but Im not holding my breath.

Custom Auto Sound in Bedford did my reinstall in my 2001 GT. Those guys were awesome and do great work. The Mustang install is everything I wish the Camaro install would have been. They took the time to go over my options, showed me how they were doing everything in the dash and dealt with every fickle concern I had along the way.

Jay