Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9331 - 12/06/2000 13:05 Installation Site
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I've seen a few references to something about an "Installation Site" that had a list of companies that did a good job on an empeg install. Is that site still up, and what is the URL?

Thanks,
Tim

#9332 - 13/06/2000 08:15 Re: Installation Site [Re: Tim]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England

I'd be interested in that too. But, in case it doesn't already exist, anybody know of a good and reliable installations place in Zurich?

The only places I've seen have looked well dodgy. I'm seriously considering booking the motah in in Cambridge and driving over to the UK to get it fitted (8 hours to Calais and another 8 to get round the M25). Mind you, I could, perhaps, come to some arrangement over cheap booze and fags from France.

Nick.

--

#9333 - 13/06/2000 09:03 Re: Installation Site [Re: debauch]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
You'd probably be better off going through Holland (Hoek) to Harwich which would cut your overall journey in half. It's cheaper than the tunnel/ferry now anyway - and duty free has ceased to exist, don't forget

Plus, if you felt sociable, you could drop in on the way for a beer and a demo

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#9334 - 13/06/2000 10:49 Re: Installation Site [Re: schofiel]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
drop in . . . for a beer and a demo

Yeah, bring your wireless ethernet gear too

Henno
ex 00120

#9335 - 14/06/2000 01:12 Re: Installation Site [Re: schofiel]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
You'd probably be better off going through Holland (Hoek) to Harwich which would cut your overall journey in half.

Certainly Harwich to Cambridge would be faster than Dover to Cambridge, but the advantage of driving Zurich to Calais is that it's motorway all the way. At Christmas, a friend and I left Zurich at the same time - he was going Hook of Holland to Newcastle, I was going Calais to Dover. We both arrived at the ports at about the same time. He would have got there sooner, but he got lost on some very badly signed roads and then got stuck in traffic in or around one of the cities on the way. All in all, I'd rather just bomb along the motorway and pay a little more at the port. Certainly won't be travelling on the tunnel though - I was quoted GBP300 for a return ticket over Christmas. As it was, the cheapest deal I could get was about GBP150 on the SeaCat or hovercraft.

and duty free has ceased to exist, don't forget

The difference in the prices of alcohol and cigs, even where duty has already been paid, between France and the UK is sufficiently large that many people make regular runs across the channel to stock up. There is a reasonably large black market for imported goods too.

Plus, if you felt sociable, you could drop in on the way for a beer and a demo

Well, you're more than welcome to pop down to Switzerland :-)

Nick.

--

#9336 - 14/06/2000 02:56 Re: Installation Site [Re: debauch]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

the advantage of driving Zurich to Calais is that it's motorway all the way.

It is to the Hoek, too. Coming from Zurich you even cross the motorway to get to Rotterdam/Hoek. It is pretty clearly signposted all the way through, and takes us about 50 minutes from where we live in the centre of NL. We regularly travel to yUK and we go 90% of the time through the tunnel at Calais. However, we can shave about 1.5 hours off getting to Guildford via the Hoek, the ticket costs less, the boat is fast, clean and new, and the overall petrol bill is lower due to the reduced amount of mileage. I reckon we save around 20% on a trip via Calais overall, and with two kids in the back the time saving is a blessing (in spite of Daddy's empeg playing Thunderbirds)

Certainly won't be travelling on the tunnel though - I was quoted GBP300 for a return ticket over Christmas

We have just had the same shock - only worse - they are now charging GBP347, and in spite of the fact that I really like travelling through the tunnel, we have made our last trip that way if the price stays up there. The boats have all gone up as well, but they have cannilly placed their prices below the tube by about 20%. We were quoted GBP295 return about 2 weeks back Passenger traffic via the tunnel has fallen off by some 50%, we heard; when we turned up on spec for the last trip, we were one of 6 (yes, six) cars that got onto the train!

At Christmas, a friend and I left Zurich at the same time - he was going Hook of Holland to Newcastle, I was going Calais to Dover.

Hang on now - this wouldn't just happen to be a certain Mr. Steve Graham, would it?

between France and the UK is sufficiently large that many people make regular runs across the channel to stock up

...and if you hit the supermarkets here, you will find it's even cheaper than in France; we went to the Calais Wine & Beer Company expecting the prices to be good, and were appalled to find the stuff was more expensive than our supermarket across the road! This was about a year ago, so things might have changed since, but we haven't bothered going back - the queues are shorter at our supermarket...

#9337 - 14/06/2000 03:04 Re: Installation Site [Re: Henno]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Hey! Empeg party in Amersfoort, NL!