Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20414 - 14/10/2000 08:31 2000 mustang install question
dr_relax
new poster

will mk2 fit easily in the lower din?

#20415 - 14/10/2000 15:02 Re: 2000 mustang install question [Re: dr_relax]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well yes, it will fit because both DINs are standard size. But think about it... The Empeg is a pull-out stereo. And the Mustang's shifter will get in the way of pulling it out. If you have an automatic, it's be even worse, you'd have to put your car in gear to pull out your Empeg -- that's not where you wanna be. Put your Empeg in the top DIN, and put any other components (most likely a head unit), in the bottom DIN. That's what I did in my 99 Stang and it's a great setup.

Besides, the Empeg belongs on top of all other car stereo components. :)

-Tony
MkII #554

#20416 - 15/10/2000 10:59 Re: 2000 mustang install question [Re: tonyc]
dr_relax
new poster

alittle problem with the top din... it already got a motorized screen. also the bottom din will give me alittle security for an insecure world. hmph... Will the empeg LAN work while docked.. So I can just go with a laptop and update the 'musik'?

Thanks

#20417 - 15/10/2000 16:18 Re: 2000 mustang install question [Re: dr_relax]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
It sounds like you're leaning towards leaving the Empeg in your car. Don't do it! NEVER leave this thing in the car! It's GOING to get stolen! Mustangs draw enough attention, then having an obviously not factory stereo just sitting there isn't going to help...

Anyway as I said, I would highly recommend against putting an Empeg in the bottom DIN. If there's any way to get the other unit to the bottom, (motorized screen or not) I'd do it. Actually, sell the damn thing and put an Empeg in there. :)

As for Ethernet in the car, see this thread. Oh, and you might want to use the search feature on the BBS to find answers to this and a lot of other questions, it's the second place to go, the first being the FAQ section of this BBS. Basically the simple answer is that there aren't enough pins on the docking connector to allow for Ethernet in the car. A serial connection is available in the car, though. My installer fed the serial connector down so it's easily available. So syncs done from a laptop in your car would have to go over serial, which is a little slow.

But that shouldn't matter because you shouldn't be syncing in the car. Bring the Empeg to your PC and sync USB or Ethernet. Done deal.

Hope all that helps.

-Tony
MkII #554