Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20694 - 18/10/2000 08:50 Chevrolet Tracker 2000
Squid2k1

Loc: Ocean Floor
Well, the EMPEG has been installed! It was done by Sound Solutions (http://www.snd-solutions.com) in Chantilly VA. It took them about 3 hours to do it with a Profile Baja 440 (100W per channels, 400W total). It looks really nice and I will put a pic of the final thing on a site later.

Only problem is that the faceplate for the EMPEG is wider than the trim really allows. It slides in all the way, no problem but it is not quite flush. You can see the sled's edge. Not a big deal. I will probably try this weekend to trim the trim so that it is flush and, hopefully, does not look worse. The installer said they could do it or try a custom plexiglass trim (which I might do later) but I figured it was good enough for now and I wanted to try trimming it.

Thanks to DiGNAN17 for recommending the place. Very professional and good work.

#20695 - 24/10/2000 07:50 Re: Chevrolet Tracker 2000 [Re: Squid2k1]
Squid2k1

Just a follow-up. I think I have loose wiring. I am not sure where it is, though. Sometimes all the sound goes but the EMPEG is still playing (visuals are moving). Sometimes the left side speakers go out (right side still playing fine). One time I think it even did not start up (maybe it was not seated correctly).

Anyway, I have scheduled a check of the wiring for this Saturday. I just hope it is a simple fix (something behind the dash came out and a quick bit of solder fixes it).

So, I am without music till this is done as I fear blowing my EMPEG as Dylan did. Knowing my luck the whole electrical system in my Tracker would blow and I would be stuck on I495 during rush hour!

Squid2k1
---
18GB of Green Mk II Fury - Fast As A Shark

#20696 - 03/11/2000 14:26 Re: Chevrolet Tracker 2000 [Re: Squid2k1]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
any music yet?

#20697 - 06/11/2000 05:41 Re: Chevrolet Tracker 2000 [Re: muzza]
Squid2k1

any music yet?
Yes! Sorry I forgot to post what the problem was. It appears that the trim on the dashboard was preventing it from being pushed all the way in. It was locking in but I guess the connector on the back was not in as far as it could go. So, they removed some more of the edge of the trim and it has been working fine ever since!

It was just odd that it worked fine for a few days then started going out on me. That is why I assumed it must be loose wiring. But they took it all apart, stress tested the wires on the sled, hooked up all their wire testing/continuity stuff and it all checked out.

Squid2k1
---

#20698 - 05/12/2000 12:19 Re: Chevrolet Tracker 2000 [Re: Squid2k1]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Squid, where's the pic? Where've you been?

ClemsonJeep and I were considering a DC / Metro area gathering and I remembered you were in the area (obviously, since you took your car to Sound Solutions). I'm glad you had a good experience. They certainly do a good job. The only problem i have had is that now the sound from my NAV system doesn't work, but I can see where they might be inexperienced when it comes to working with an MP3 player and a NAV system. Besides, they're gonna fix it for free anytime, so I don't mind.

DiGNAN

#20699 - 27/02/2001 09:05 Re: Chevrolet Tracker 2000 [Re: Dignan]
Squid2k1

DiGNAN, sorry I have been away for awhile. I just got your post. Yeah, a get together would be nice. Any more word on it?

I hope to post some pics soon. My camera keeps getting borrowed for class projects and such!

Squid2k1
---