Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#116284 - 13/09/2002 15:04 Really nice solution for "dash trim too small"...
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Doug Morrison (MorrisDL) has his Toyota installation in the gallery, and I don't remember whether or not he mentioned it on the BBS yet. I happened to be looking at it just now, and in case no one else has seen it yet, it has a really novel solution to the problem of the plastic dash trim being too small for the pullout in some vehicles.

It's located here for those who want to look at it. It's very "lateral thinking" and the end result looks really nice.

I don't recall ever seeing this method used before. My apologies if I'm not giving credit where credit is due. I'm going to link this one from the installation section of the FAQ.

Nice work, Doug!

#116285 - 23/09/2002 03:57 Re: Really nice solution for "dash trim too small"... [Re: tfabris]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Thanks Tony - I finally got around to posting it because Xpyder needed some info on his Toyota Tacoma install. If any one else has questions feel free to email me.

Next week I get to uninstall it and move it to my new car!! Hopefully it wont take too much "lateral thinking" to get it into a TT :-)

#116286 - 15/11/2002 15:37 Re: Really nice solution for "dash trim too small"... [Re: morrisdl]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Tony,
Not sure if you are still linking to my Toyota install in the FAQ (I couldn’t find it, but still very honored). I just wanted to let you know that I had to move the Toyota install to one level lower in the structure to make room for the recent AUDI TT install.

The Toyota install is now located
HERE

Oops, I found it in the FAQ. The link still works, but could be updated to be clearer.

#116287 - 17/11/2002 01:06 Re: Really nice solution for "dash trim too small"... [Re: morrisdl]
bossdj
new poster

Im new to all this but i cant tell what you did differently that helps if the dash trim is too small.

i ask because im about to start and install in a outback which has similar problems with the console. stock HU is a mini DIN type not standar DIN.

#116288 - 17/11/2002 10:41 Re: Really nice solution for "dash trim too small"... [Re: bossdj]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
He repositioned the docking connector so that it was attached to the inside of the docking sleeve instead of the outside/backside of the docking sleeve.

This means that, to be fully docked, the player does not have to be inserted as far into the docking sleeve. So the player fascia can sit flush outside the dash trim instead of having to cut the dash trim to accept the fascia.

This may or may not be useful for your particular vehicle. It worked well for his.