I decided to try and install the empeg myself, and I have never done any work like this before. Anyway, I got the dash piece off and then took off 4 screws which allowed me to take out the factory stereo and the empty tray underneath it. It appears that the tray is also DIN size.

So I pull out the brackets and factory stereo and tray and take out some screws. The HU comes out fine, but the empeg tray does not fit at all. I think I'm really screwed here, because the empeg metal tray is about 3-4mm wider than the brackets. I can't really bend the brackets to fit around the tray because then they won't screw back into the damn dashboard. I really have to use these brackets too because otherwise there's just a huge gaping hole in the dash and it would be very difficult to install anything in there with support.

Also, the empeg tray does not have any screw holes in the sides, so how would you normally secure it in place?

I'm really stuck on this part, and I don't want to have to take it to a stereo place because the only good one around here charges too much.