So I picked up a 5.1 amp and a subwoofer real cheap on ubid and went down to the local installer to see what it would cost to get my brand spankin new empeg installed and connected to the new amp and sub. US$400. So, I've decided to forget the sub for now (it was only $20 anyway) and just buy a new head unit that has an aux in. It will be half the price and I will have tangible hardware for my dollars spent rather than just labor that will disappear as soon as I get a new car (in about a year).

But, it occurred to me that somebody, sometime has probably come up with a 4 channel amp that fits in a 1 DIN space. I'd rather go spend my money on that just for simplicity rather than having to deal with all the doodad overhead of a full-blown head unit in addition to my empeg + tuner.

I spent about 30 minutes digging through the archives here but couldn't find any discussion of such a beast. Maybe my choice of keywords sucked because I can't imagine that it hasn't come up before. Does anyone have any suggestions?