I am attempting to install my empeg - Kenwood head unit setup into my new 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse and I have run into a snag. Not really a problem installing the empeg itself...problems with hooking up the Kenwood head unit to the factory connectors. Any help would truely be welcomed!!

I think the problem is that the factory system is an Infinity system (7 speakers with a seperate amplifier). The factory head unit has 5 connections going to it - 2 antenea wires (one regular sized, the other smaller), the normal factory connector, a round 6 pin DIN(?) connector (looks like a CD changer plug but there is no CD changer installed - I think this is the connector that goes to the factory amp possibly), and one small 4 wire connector which operates the remote status screen (radio frequency, clock, CD track, etc.). All aftermarket harness adapters I can locate physically fit the main factory connector - this is the connector that is suppose to supply power, speakers, etc. *BUT* the factory connector in my car only has wires supplying power, ground and 3 other wires. The wires that are suppose to be for the speakers are missing! I am pretty sure thats what the round 6 pin connector is for - line level out to the factory amp. As far as I can find there is no adapter for that connector to allow me to connect my Kenwood head unit's RCA outs to it. All this mess is because it is the "Infinity" system and not the regular system!

Does anyone have any ideas? I wanted to just connect the factory speakers to the Kenwood's internal amplifier but now it looks like I'll have to use the line outs and interface with that factory amp somehow. I think the newer Dodge vehicles (Intrepid, Stratus, etc.) have similar Infinity systems also.

If I could get the pin configuration of that plug for the amp I could splice togther my own connectors. Anyone? Please? I want my MP3!! :)

Scott (00342)