Since it looks like I'll be getting an empeg, be it from ebay or SB, let the fun begin. I know smu tried to get a nav project off the ground a bit ago, I don't know how that is coming along. Maybe we can make it a joint effort, and maybe kim could give us a hand seeing as his project it so far ahead. Anyway I'm going to start rambling off my thoughts. Firstly... the maps. I know nothing of map formats, but will look at other projects for linux that use them to figure something out. Some more thoughts on maps. I've got a Street Atlas USA CD that has maps on it. Would these be usable? (as long as your own the cd). Are they a standard format? There are a few linux GPS projects that can help get us started. One of particular interest to me is a perl module that provides an interface with various GPS units. The GPS unit I have at the moment is an Delorme Earthmate. The first thing I plan on attacking is getting the epmeg/GPS to talk. Probably just display the coordinates and any other info the GPS unit sends. I guess thats it for now... I'm headed to bed (I'll probly think of something more to say while im laying here). But until then... happy empeging.

-Dan