Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#52609 - 29/12/2001 02:57 Arbitrary tags
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
With the Soup views eliminating any need for album/artist playlists, would it possible to add fields to the *1 files and have a Soup view/playlist for that? In my case, I'm looking particularly at record labels (Warp, Matador, Ninja Tune, etc.), but if implemented it could be any field. Any metadata from the *1 could/should be indexed. This basically leaves the only purpose for playlists in implementing mixed sources of music together (moods?).

We can already populate any fields via emptool (don't think we can in emplode), but the player doesn't use them.

I imagine of course this is too late for any 2.0 release.

#52610 - 29/12/2001 03:08 Re: Arbitrary tags [Re: shawn]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Not sure what your question is.

You've already gleaned that you can create arbitrary fields with Emptool. Have you tried doing that, and then doing an advanced search for that field in Emplode? I think that might work.

Beyond that, what is it you want the software to do (specifically)?

#52611 - 29/12/2001 07:51 Re: Arbitrary tags [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I think that once he's added a "Record Label" tag, he wants to have it displayed as a branch in the soup view.

This may yet be possible -- the definitions of the soup views are purely textual, and could be extended. I've got to do some work with the icon management before I'll be happy to add this feature, though.

Might make it out in time for v2.0 final, might not. Who knows?

#52612 - 29/12/2001 10:52 Re: Arbitrary tags [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Cool, user-defined Soup views. That would rock.

Could you spec these views in a similar fashion to the way the Search terms work? For instance (assuming I had created the arbitrary tags in question), could I create a Soup view of all Indie music by UK bands recorded between 1978 and 1986?

And when the Soup views eventually end up on the Player's menu, then it would become really useful.

#52613 - 29/12/2001 11:32 Re: Arbitrary tags [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
No. You're missing the point. Soup views aren't there to search for things. They're there to categorise things.

In your example, you wouldn't use a soup view to only view things, you'd use a soup view to define a decades\genre\nationality view.

What you want are playlists defined by search criteria. They'll arrive eventually.

Also, the soup views defined in emplode might not necessarily be the ones used on the player. We'll look into it, though -- it'll solve another problem I've been having.

#52614 - 29/12/2001 11:46 Re: Arbitrary tags [Re: Roger]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
What you want are playlists defined by search criteria. They'll arrive eventually.

Consider yourself quoted on that. :) I begged for something like this back in this thread, so I'm very happy to hear that you guys are planning to do it. This will be the *ultimate* in easily creating and customizing your playlists.

#52615 - 29/12/2001 12:17 Re: Arbitrary tags [Re: Roger]
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
Yep! That's what I mean. Right now I'm ripping stuff myself and added info like year, record label, catalog number. Call me a trainspotter!

Anyway, I find myself just wanting to listen to a bunch of Peacefrog or Schematic (two notably different labels and sounds for those interested, BTW). I can try and make playlists per label, but if this was supported natively, all the more easier. Plus as I add more records, I don't have to go add them to playlists, they'll already be there (via the Soups view in the player).