Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6277 - 21/10/1999 23:09 Component sized dock for home use?
drakino
carpal tunnel

Something that would be nice to see is a component sized box for adding the empeg to a home stereo system. Simply dock the player and enjoy the empeg in full home stereo glory. The box could have it's own buttons to control the unit from the front of the box, and have a serial connection to the empeg for the extra buttons. This allows the empeg to serve as the best car stereo, and when not in the car, the best home stereo music player. And it elliminates the need for having to find cables every time when wanting to listen to the empeg outside the car. The box should have both RCA outs and speaker hookups so that it can be used as an existing amp or a standalone component. Overall, it should be easy to make and cheap to sell, as the core of the system still stays inside the empeg box.

#6278 - 22/10/1999 16:18 Re: Component sized dock for home use? [Re: drakino]
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany
I very much second that suggestion - although I think it need not have buttons or other controls. Just a decent looking surface, a power supply and RCA outputs - oh yes, and an empeg logo on the front! If such a thing existed, I'd immediately buy one!

#6279 - 23/10/1999 01:09 Re: Component sized dock for home use? [Re: drakino]
PaulWay@home
new poster

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I agree, except my plans would be a little more grandiose.

Imagine a docking bay similar to a VCR.
You load the Empeg through a flap the the Empeg log emblazoned on it and it neatly rolls into the bay and docks with the connecters (motorized would be a nice touch.)

from there you have a comprehensive set of controls (data wheel, soft buttons etc) using the Empeg Display. all features are accessable through a sleek and sexy IR remote.
On the back are connecters for the 4 Channels out, maybe the 2 in also and the serial port.

An easily mounting system is a must if it is not bolted to the self.

Hey this is a wish list right?

Feed the Hungry. Save the Whales. Free the Mallocs.

#6280 - 25/10/1999 17:32 Re: Component sized dock for home use? [Re: tadzio]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I've already made such a box for myself. It is just a simple particle board case with black laminate for finish. Right now the power supply is a bit over kill but I used what I had. It works great because I don't have to hook up any cables to listen to it. If anyone wants I could put up some pics but there's not much to see.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#6281 - 26/10/1999 06:31 Re: Component sized dock for home use? [Re: bmihulka]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
put some pics up!

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#6282 - 27/10/1999 18:12 Re: Component sized dock for home use? [Re: JeepBastard]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Ok,
I've got some pics up. The page is a little crude right now and will probably stay like that for a while. But if you really want to see them go to
http://www.hulkster.net/~empeg .

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#6283 - 29/10/1999 02:13 Re: Component sized dock for home use? [Re: PaulWay@home]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
This is fairly close to what I've almost finished building.
I got a spare car mount which I have fitted into a box. I'm in the process of fixing the various wires to the relevent sockets on the back of the box.
As soon as I have it finished and all nicely painted and try and get a nice flip cover for the slot - I'll stick a load of piccies up.

David