Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20527 - 16/10/2000 10:59 Alternate Media
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
I just read IBM is bringing out a 1 Gig Compact Flash disk this fall. I am seriously considering getting one for my iPAQ. Yes, thats right I managed to get a Compact Flash Sleeve for it ... No, don't bother offering me 20.000 dollars for it, I am not letting this one out of my sight. Anyways, and obviously this is not going to happen with the MK2 (or is it?), but I was thinking it would be nice if you could plug that into your Empeg too ... I have no clue if it would be possible with the empeg hardware. Just would be nice. Either as a removable drive for future apps (again nav systems pop to mind) or as a quick mp3 transfer medium (i.e. put the compactflash in your laptop/pc using a compactflash convertor to pcmcia, upload 1 gig mp3's at high speed then plug it in the empeg who could then transfer it over to the main drive).

Of course these drives are not cheap, but like I said I am going to get one for my iPAQ anyway. Perhaps a PCMCIA slot in the empeg would be better, one you could use for things like this AND other ideas (gsm card, wireless card, modem card, compactflash memory with converter, compactflash harddisk with converter, etc etc etc) ...

Any chance of that ever happening ?
I know I know, no room but still, there has to be a way to do it somehow, I would even be willing to give up my second harddisk space for it ...

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#20528 - 17/10/2000 15:33 Re: Alternate Media [Re: EngelenH]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Yes it would be truly fantastic to have this style of operation, but there have already been responses (by Hugo too) to this style of question about removable media.
Basically it breaks the central database continuity. It is the same reasoning behind not placing a CD drive near or in the Empeg.

However in the future if you choose to get such a device operating via ethernet or usb that would be up to you.

Neat Laptop though!

Murray 06000047

#20529 - 18/10/2000 04:57 Re: Alternate Media [Re: muzza]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
he cant use USB as it is only a slave "it can only be conected to a PC, you cant conect enything to it" :-(

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->GPS)(USB->Bluetooth)(USB->You name it)