Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47505 - 20/11/2001 20:03 Static IP / Dynamic IP
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
I'd like to be able to set a specific IP address/subnetmask/gateway that is overwritten automatically when the empeg detects a DHCP server assigning a different IP/Subnetmask/gateway. This is useful when connecting the empeg to different networks, obviously (typically, home lan or cross cable - static / office lan - dhcp).

I seem to recall a post saying that the IP assignment is already working like this, but it actually does notm unless I am doing something wrong. Every time I have to connect via serial cable, change cfg, reconnect via ethernet.

Thank you!

Oh, and since I am here, what about automacally changing visuals?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#47506 - 21/11/2001 10:03 Re: Static IP / Dynamic IP [Re: Taym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is already implemented in the player.

If it does not detect a DHCP server, it assigns an IP address within a certain range. This is a predefined range which (I think?) happens to be in the same range as Windows PCs that fall in the same situation (when they can't find a DHCP server either). I believe the range is something like 169.254.xxx.xxx.

But what you're asking for is to define your own fallback address. I don't think this would get implemented, as it would be terribly nonstandard.

I think I know the reason you want to do this. You want to move the player between two networks: A fixed-IP network at your home and a DHCP-based network at your job. I did this for quite a long time before switching to DHCP at home. Instructions on how to do this can be found here in the FAQ.

#47507 - 21/11/2001 11:07 Re: Static IP / Dynamic IP [Re: tfabris]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
What standard are you refering to, exactly? However, even in that case, no standard would be broken since this would be an EXTRA feature, that could be disabled for standard compliance and compatibility reasons.

Also, the solution you mention in the FAQ is generally pretty good, but this would be working better for those who use windows 2000, and would also be more secure in those environments where introducing an extra IP stack is not a safe solution.

Edited by taym (21/11/2001 11:08)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#47508 - 21/11/2001 11:21 Re: Static IP / Dynamic IP [Re: Taym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've actually got a Windows 2000 work-around. A little program called "ipadd.exe". Unfortunately, it only runs at a DOS prompt and you have to keep the DOS window open as long as you want it to work. If you want it, it's at ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/amol/.

#47509 - 24/11/2001 01:17 Re: Static IP / Dynamic IP [Re: Taym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

What standard are you refering to, exactly?

The 169.254.x.x addressing is part of the uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) standard.

However, even in that case, no standard would be broken since this would be an EXTRA feature, that could be disabled for standard compliance and compatibility reasons.

By what I understand, this type of feature is in the Mac OS, and is used quite a bit by Powerbook owners. The system detects what network it is on, then switches settings, including proxys and such. And manual changes are as easy as selecting the location from the Apple menu in OS X. I would so love this feature now on my x86 laptop. I currently use a batch file in the startup folder to attempt to copy a file from a network share. Based on what one completes, it then enacts certain settings like proxies and mapped drives. It's taken about 2 years now to get it to the level it is. I still have my wireless network set to the same settings as my work network due to not wanting to manually change settings.