Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#49013 - 04/12/2001 12:21 New Visualization Idea! Vortex Streets!
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
This is for all those fluid dynamics people out there.

A karman vortex street occurs when a solid object impedes the flow of a some kind of fluid. Very fascinating eddies form behind the object in a very regular pattern!

It seems to me with the "smoke" effects already present a vortex street syncopated to the music would be incredible.

There are cool animated Karman Vortex streets out here, such as http://www2.icfd.co.jp/Karman3/Movie.htm.

My vision for what this looks like on the empeg is a horizontally arranged flow, either the flow moves right to left, or left to right and it may switch back and forth. There is a "dot" that quite honestly resembles the "dot" from Casualty that moves up and down with the music. And there is a flow of "fluid" past the dot that forms an incredible looking smoky vortex street. If the music causes the flow to reverse, the dot will rush over to the other side of the screen and resume vortexes.

On a related note, the meter in my car that used to measure the mass of air going into the engine uses a karman vortex mechanism. The airflow is straightened, then rushed into a wedge of plastic, and there is a detector that counts the number of vortexes that moves past the sensor. This measurement is in beats per second. So there seems to me a relation to music somehow. ;-)

Calvin

#49014 - 04/12/2001 13:39 Re: New Visualization Idea! Vortex Streets! [Re: eternalsun]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Excellent idea. I wouldnt want to come up with the math to model that though.

Edited by Terminator (04/12/2001 13:41)

#49015 - 06/12/2001 16:07 Re: New Visualization Idea! Vortex Streets! [Re: Terminator]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
It would be nice if it was mathematically visualized but why bother when you can fake it! :-)

Calvin