Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#51270 - 24/12/2001 14:43 User Editing of Seek Tool Data
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The seek tool is such a beautiful invention. Though it's a bit raw right now, it's really an impressive little tool. Kudos to the Empeg team for one of the neatest and most unique things I've seen in any MP3 player.

But... (there's always a but!) how cool would it be if users could edit the metadata it's generating? This would allow for many things, including:
- fine tuning the automatically selected "breakpoints" to make them more exactly align with verses and choruses and stuff
- adding markers at each track change in a long MP3 mix (such as the PaulWay mixes.. imagine a "phase marker" each time a new song gets mixed in!)
- adding "fake track markers" to albums which are encoded as one MP3 (live shows, albums you want to play gapless, etc.)

Also, I'm assuming the seek tool has internal parameters which define the minimum duration of a "phase" and the maximum duration of a "phase" (possibly with some other mathematical factors and constants.) The ability to fine-tune these would be nice as well.

A few test runs through the seek tool have yielded nice results. "Shout" by Tears for Fears came out with some phase breaks that were in PERFECT position, and some that seemed a little random. That's to be expected since the Empeg obviously can't tell song breaks like humans can. Still, VERY nice feature, much better than I could have imagined it.

As to where this stuff gets edited, I would imagine Emplode would be the best place. But if that falls into the "not bloody likely" category, maybe if someone @ Empeg can share the specs of how this data is stored (I'm assuming it's on hda3) Someone Smart (tm) can write such a beast...

Edited by yn0t_ (24/12/2001 14:45)

#51271 - 24/12/2001 15:35 Re: User Editing of Seek Tool Data [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
On a related note, this sort of timepoint data can be stored in ID3v2 tags as ETCO frames.