Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66612 - 04/02/2002 11:49 Clock set via software --> NTP sync
frekin
stranger

I set the Empeg's time via the menu controls already. Any idea if it's possible to set the clock via software using NTP? Can this sort of feature be easily added to the Emplode software? I'm envisioning configuration settings sort of like this:
- A switch to enable automatic synchronization with the host computer's time when you connect to the empeg via Emplode
- A switch to allow Emplode itself to query a time server and apply the returned time to the Empeg unit

#66613 - 04/02/2002 12:32 Re: Clock set via software --> NTP sync [Re: frekin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I, too, would like to see an option to set the player's clock to the PC's time and timezone whenever I use emplode.

The point has been made that PCs often have notoriously poor timeclocks. My work-around is to use internet time-synchronizer utilities to make sure that the PC is on time.

#66614 - 05/02/2002 18:44 Re: Clock set via software --> NTP sync [Re: frekin]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

For those times when NTP isn't acurate enough (since those microseconds really count ), you should ask in the GPS thread in the projects forum if anyone's considered pulling time from the GPS receiver.

#66615 - 06/02/2002 09:39 Re: Clock set via software --> NTP sync [Re: TheAmigo]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
(since those microseconds really count...)

Quite some time ago, a gent named Bobo posted a small executable "gps-time" to grab GPS time from serial. I have it somewhere and planned on testing once I get a spare GPS/cable.

Also, looks like there's a Debian ARM package available for both NTP and a client ntpdate program.

I don't even have a developer image on my new player now. I have just been focused on cleaning up tags (done) and loading music. Figured I'd delve the depths of Hijack on the occasion of the next 2.x release. What I see doing, though, is having ntpdate run at "home" startup and Bobo's gps-time at "car" startup. Optionally, you could run the NTP daemon itself and have it continually get time from attached GPS set up as local GPS/NMEA clock. Having Emplode synch would be great for simplicity's sake; also, it would re-synch during long periods (in my scenario) where NTP might not be running (I haven't looked at Hijack and other things enough to understand whether I could cron an ntpdate execution, say, every night at 2 AM)

Since GPS setting would be through plain 1 pulse-per-second signal (and Empeg doesn't have any super-duper harmonizing internal clock SFAIK), then GPS/NTP I think would be in the same ballpark, accuracy-wise. But both would be just fine!

For my car, I was initially thinking about using the covert GPS/Cell antenna listed here along with a receiver like a Motorola Encore, but now I'm leaning toward this small Point2Point , all-in-one unit ($179)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.