Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6384 - 07/12/1999 20:09 Power On Volume Fade
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
I have a tendency to work the volume of my music up to near ear-exploding limits when I drive home from school at night, and then often forget to turn it down before I head in for bed. So of course, when I wake up early in the morning and start up my Jeep, the last thing I want to do is have music blaring in my ears.

I've seen a feature on other newer tuners, where the unit slowly "fades" itself up to the previous volume, allowing you to not only stop it, but turn it down as well. This would also be a great way to save speakers, to work them back up to the previous volume, and not blowing them out. 8)

Any support for this idea? It could be a configuration option, in case people don't want this.

(O|||||O)
S/N 00246 6GB Blue

#6385 - 08/12/1999 01:50 Re: Power On Volume Fade [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
Yes, It is just a matter of programming it,
this will be a nice featur to the muting featur, instend OFF / slow ON

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->Ethernet)(USB->COM 1-8)(USB->You name it)

#6386 - 08/12/1999 20:15 Re: Power On Volume Fade [Re: ClemsonJeep]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
This is a feature that I asked for ages ago. For a while I thought that the empeg actually did this already, but it turned out that our Kicker amps fade the volume up (albeit rather quickly) upon power-up.

I'll try to hassle John into doing it for Beta9 :-)

Rob

#6387 - 09/12/1999 03:01 Re: Power On Volume Fade [Re: rob]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I'll try to hassle John into doing it for Beta9 :-)

Thus ensuring that the next release will be called beta8d, the one after will be beta8e etc. We've got at least twenty possible releases :-)

It's not actually as easy as it sounds. I've put some thought into it and I'll try to get round to doing it.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6388 - 09/12/1999 07:49 Re: Power On Volume Fade [Re: mac]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
It's not actually as easy as it sounds. I've put some thought into it and I'll try to get round to doing it.

Mike,

This how my home system (Mark Levinson) does this in its set-up routines:

1) one can set a preferred output level, that will be gradually returned to when the system is switched on in about 1 second.

2) the relative outputs of each source can be adjusted by means of input offsets relative to the loudest; it raises the output of the selected input to that of the loudest source when switching from one input to the next.

3) the mute function can be adjusted such that output is reduced by the predetermined amound (between 1and 60db). When is pressed again the pre-mute level is resumed. If volume is adjusted after the first press, any subsequent press of reduces output again by the same amount.

4) it allows a maximum volume setting to lock out volume settings above a certain point

5) each input channel can be renamed.

Henno