Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14229 - 16/08/2000 18:47 AM/FM Tuner
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I've read other posts about an AM tuner, and how it was apparently planned for the MkII tuner module, but was scrapped due to unavailable parts or something. So... When can we expect to see an AM/FM tuner module? If at all? AM is actually kinda important to me, and some others who have posted here. I would consider holding off on the FM tuner module if there's going to be an AM/FM tuner later on... So... What's the story, guys? thanks.

#14230 - 16/08/2000 20:15 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: tonyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Here's an idea I've been toying with that might kill two birds with one stone.

Take a look here -->

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-dlvE6ah0l2T/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=0&g=0&I=133SLSX469&o=&a=

and picture it installed in your car, not in the dash but maybe velcro'd to a center console or something, maybe in place of an ashtray, getting power from your car's electrical system (need to put a resistor in line to bring it down to 3--4 volts, but that's easy enough), line-out to the empeg's auxilliary in, and not only do you have your AM/FM tuner, but you also gain the ability to play CDs with all the advantages of empeg's parametric equalizer, for not much more money than the empeg tuner will cost. You won't have RDS capabilities, there are probably other things about the empeg tuner that are nice, but for a quick, inexpensive alternative, this looks like it might work.

Before I send crutchfield my money, does anyone have any ideas as to why this might or might not be a good idea?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#14231 - 16/08/2000 20:18 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: tanstaafl.]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Check headphone.com -- they seem to know what they're talking about. They recommend specific portable CD players for line-out quality. Make sure it has a good line out!!

Calvin

#14232 - 16/08/2000 20:31 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: tanstaafl.]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hmmm resistors? Why not just use the standard cigarette lighter adapter... Otherwise that seems to be a good workable solution... hmmm...

#14233 - 17/08/2000 17:15 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: tonyc]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
AM/FM will come after the standard FM tuner; we're at the point of having PCBs for the FM tuner now (as opposed to my hand-built board which John has been working with!) so that's getting closer.

We've located what looks like a suitable AM/FM tuner module, but we're still trying to prise samples out of the company concerned. They seemed very upset that we'd like to buy some of them and did everything they could to slow us down...

Hugo

#14234 - 17/08/2000 17:23 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: altman]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
"We've located what looks like a suitable AM/FM tuner module, but we're still trying to prise samples out of the company concerned. They seemed very upset that we'd like to buy some of them and did everything they could to slow us down..."

I dont understand why they wouldnt want you to purchase some of their product? Is it because of the small quantities involved?

I think AM is more commonly used in the US for traffic and sports broadcasts than it seemed to be in the UK. I dont know how many others would agree with me, but I would really appreciate it if you could find an AM/FM tuner.

Sean

#14235 - 17/08/2000 17:36 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: Terminator]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
When dealing with some parts used in car audio, the suppliers are simply not used to dealing with anyone smaller than (eg) Blaupunkt, Sony, Pioneer, etc. They look at you like you're mad, and simple things like getting databooks turns out to be hard as they usually just send a team of engineers round to the company in question to help out with the design.

You wouldn't believe the trouble we had getting the manuals for the DSP out of Philips. We had 500 chips for a couple of months before we got the databook...

We're working on AM/FM, and it will arrive.

Hugo

#14236 - 25/08/2000 05:03 Re: AM/FM Tuner [Re: Terminator]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
IMHO - I cant remember that last time I listened to AM. I would prefer an FM only tuner if it meant getting it any sooner.

Also - (I have seen this request before so I wont start a new thread) the tuner should have a power antenna control for only when tuner is in use. The remote amp lead is OK, but I WISH, I WISH, I WISH....

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)