Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18319 - 21/09/2000 18:22 Search for text in the Comment Field
empegLover
new poster

Loc: Wisconsin
This may be an old question, but are there any plans to have a search function that could find free text in the comment field of the ID3 tag? There would be many potential uses, for example, searching for keywords which are not necessarily already specified by title, artist, year, and genre. Users could add their own subjective rating scale to the songs, sections of lyrics, mood descriptors, solo instruments, track times, or whatever else they would find useful in locating a song or group of songs out of the thousands on the empeg.

#18320 - 21/09/2000 19:04 Re: Search for text in the Comment Field [Re: empegLover]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The search feature that's built into the player's UI does not have this capability. But there will be a search box in the 1.1 Emplode... perhaps it'll search the comment field as well as the other fields? Roger?

#18321 - 21/09/2000 20:26 Re: Search for text in the Comment Field [Re: tfabris]
empegLover
new poster

Is there a reason the empeg UI could not be modified to search the comment field? The search function in emplode would not help me when I'm not at the computer. I thought that searching the comments would allow playlists to be created on the fly based on whatever kind of free text the user wanted to put in the field similar to searching by artist or year but potentially much more powerful and totally configurable by the user. One could then search for "Tom's 80s" (my own particular favorites from the 1980s), "quiet", "piano", "happy", "10" (on subjective scale of 1-10), or whatever else one could imagine to describe their music. This would potentially allow groups of songs of varied types to be selected from the whole database that would have factors in common other than year, artist, or genre. I know that you could accomplish some of this with playlists, but I would like to avoid creating millions of fixed playlist combinations to have to scroll through. I would also find it useful for those times when you would like to locate a specific song that someone wants to hear but you can't remember the title i.e. by searching for a prominent lyric, or the instrument in the solo, etc. Searching could also be chained with "and" or "or" to create combo lists like "quiet AND piano AND 9 OR 10".

Tom Hitchcock

#18322 - 21/09/2000 20:32 Re: Search for text in the Comment Field [Re: empegLover]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there a reason the empeg UI could not be modified to search the comment field?

Other than the fact that they've got a lot of other requested features ahead of it in the queue? No, no reason at all.

Actually, there is a feature coming up (planned for 1.1?) called the "Wendy Filter" that might do what you want it to do. I'm not sure since none of us have seen her in action yet.

#18323 - 21/09/2000 20:43 Re: Search for text in the Comment Field [Re: tfabris]
empegLover
new poster

What in the world is the "Wendy Filter", or don't you really know either?

Tom Hitchcock

#18324 - 22/09/2000 00:30 Re: Search for text in the Comment Field [Re: empegLover]
teemcbee
addict

You can find some information about it here

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143