I promised a while ago that I'd have a play with the new RDS features in 2.0b11 on a long trip and make some suggestions. Well, I did a 15-20 hour drive at the weekend, and here's what I'd like (in no particular order):
  • Toggle TA on/off from MP3 menus.
    Since TA can be active when listening to MP3s, it ought to be controllable in that mode. Not sure where to put the menu item, though - under Settings?
  • Faster AF switching.
    From discussions here, I believe it's possible to subliminally sample the signal strength of a small number of channels every few seconds. If this is possible, the tuner would be able to sort these in rough order of strength so that it doesn't have to try them all when switching. Ideally, it would switch somewhat preemptively when it sees a signal that's significantly stronger than the current one (say, two bars stronger), rather than waiting until the strength is very weak (mine currently switches when the signal is at one bar and audibly breaking up). This would make TA work better, as you're then less likely to receive TA for the region you've just left, and more likely to get one for the region you're entering.
  • AF following whilst in MP3 mode.
    (Those with powered antennas may want this to be a configurable option.) This is important for TA again: if I'm listening to MP3s, I don't even know that the tuner is not receiving a traffic channel any more. Ideally, if TA is enabled and AF following can't happen (no AF, AF disabled by user, or none of the other frequencies have signal), then seek to the next station transmitting TA. (Maybe it should even attempt to switch back when tuner mode is re-entered - see next item.) It seems that we could do better out of Tuner mode than in it, because then the audio signal is not important - for instance, tracking AF of many stations, and reading TA signals from several sources, rather than being restricted to the station that the user wants to listen to.
  • Search by name.
    If I've driven out of range (e.g. over Rannoch Moor between Tyndrum and Glen Coe, where there's no reception at all), and AF following hasn't happened, then IWBNI selecting a preset would note the lack of signal, and scan through the frequencies looking at station names and comparing them to the RDS name associated with the preset (not the user-defined name that appears in the menu). This is what my factory system tried to do (but it never worked successfully). Bonus points if I can type in a name on the remote (useful when passengers ask for a station I don't normally listen to).
  • Set clock from RDS clock signal.
    This has been mentioned before; I'm writing it here to gather these things in one place.
  • PTY search.
    This is quite common on other products (e.g. my home system), so I'm mentioning it for completeness. I'm imagining a menu with all the different programme types; selecting one would seek until a matching signal is found.