Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#42019 - 17/10/2001 15:05 Revert changes and cookies
drakino
carpal tunnel

Just had a discussion with Tony via ICQ about the cookies and behavior of revert changes. Here is the situation:

1. Open Emplode, open empeg database
2. Power cycle empeg
3. Try to sync, get the expected cookie error
4. Select Revert Changes, emplode gets the empeg database again
5. Try to sync, cookie error occurs again.

Tony is saying this is normal, and emplode needs to be restarted. Now shouldn't revert changes either display a cookie error as well, or better yet, reset the empeg cookie?

Another thought on this as well. It would be nice if emplode could monitor the connection to the empeg, and somehow warn the user that they disconnected with unsaved changes. Then allow a reconnection to the empeg to sync the changes as long as the empeg database didn't change.

#42020 - 17/10/2001 15:13 Re: Revert changes and cookies [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although I am not attempting to contradict Drakino here, I wanted to clarify why I say this is normal behavior:

In previous versions of Emplode, if the player rebooted or something else went wrong (such as an emplode crash or a synch error), you could really mess up your database if you synched again without restarting the player and emplode. I remember doing it a couple of times back in the old days.

The new emplode just makes sure you don't try to synch again from the same connection session when there's been an error or a reboot. This is a good thing.

You should (in theory) be able to get away with closing all open windows in emplode, not necessarily restarting emplode.

#42021 - 18/10/2001 01:03 Re: Revert changes and cookies [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
As this feature is to prevent anti-empeg attacks, is it at all possible to have the first computer which connects to the empeg as the recipient of the cookie; any subsequent users who log on are then given permission via a dialog to use the database; Users are listed by address in emplode for all to see. The holder of the cookie determines who stays and who goes and is the only one who can change the database.

I know this is a lot but here is my reasoning:
Sometimes I have emplode open and will restart the player for whatever reason, crashing, just to see Tux wave, whatever. It is irritating if you have forgotten to sync during this process and you have to redo all your changes.

0.02c

Murray
new styleee

#42022 - 18/10/2001 06:50 Re: Revert changes and cookies [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Although I am not attempting to contradict Drakino here, I wanted to clarify why I say this is normal behavior

But Drakino did a Revert Changes. It's unquestionably a bug that Revert Changes doesn't acquire a fresh session cookie.

Peter