Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11332 - 15/07/2000 10:39 11a- Track info not the same as playing song?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm posting this very cautiously, since I've only noticed this when running Rjlov's modified version of the kernel software. But I'm pretty sure that we're talking about a player software bug rather than a kernel bug. If anyone else has noticed this, let me know, so that we can decide whether or not it's a problem with Empeg's suff or Rjlov's stuff.

I've seen both the "Info: Now and Next" screen as well as the "Info: Track" screen become de-synchronized witht the actual music that's playing.

For example, it was playing one particular song, but the Info:Track screen listed a completely different song. Swapping the different info displays showed the Now and Next screen with the correct trackname listed at the top, but the Info:Track screen was still wrong. Switching tracks back and forth (>> <<) fixed it. I only saw this happen once.

Another time, the Now and Next screen listed a different song than the one that was playing. Switching tracks forward advanced the Now and Next list forward to the next visible trackname, and the player played a different song, but that song was still a different song than the displayed one. I only saw this happen once, and restarting the player fixed it.

#11333 - 18/07/2000 04:54 Re: 11a- Track info not the same as playing song? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
You're not the only one. I have been seeing this - and worse - since the upgrade to 11A. I reported it to Mike, but as yet no answer. For me it seems to happen the first time I get in the car; I have not seen it at home. It seems to have been linked with a sickly battery, but the problem has not gone away when the battery has improved. I see playlists that do not match what is playing; random contents; the player waking up and finding no playlists at all; playlists containig weird characters.

Along with the crackly connections you are getting, we seem to be following similar tracks with our Mk1s! I wondered whether or not this was related to the additional current draw following the installation of a second disk?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#11334 - 18/07/2000 10:57 Re: 11a- Track info not the same as playing song? [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Along with the crackly connections you are getting, we seem to be following similar tracks with our Mk1s!

Did you catch the other place on this BBS where I solved the problem of the crackly connection? It was internal to the unit, and it was because the IDE cable from the second disk drive (Which I installed) was pushing on the differential amplifier sub-board. Rerouting the cable a bit solved my problem.

I wondered whether or not this was related to the additional current draw following the installation of a second disk?

If the playing song is getting desynchronized from the displayed track name, I highly doubt that's related to any current draw problems. Sounds like a simple software glitch to me.

#11335 - 18/07/2000 15:41 Re: 11a- Track info not the same as playing song? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I meant along the lines of: Two disks, low battery, and during boot the regulated supply dips out as both disks require peak startup current. Although there is inertia in the spinning disk (meaning it probably isn't toobadly affected by supply problems), disk controllers do not behave well when the +5V line gets dippy. Hence, weird data/corrupted data/incomplete seeks/etc.