Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11633 - 21/07/2000 03:02 12b dim & light sense bug
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi !
from the release notes of 12b:

>Light sense has been implemented. There are two dimmer levels stored, one
>for the light sense being 0 volts, one for the light sense being at +12
>volts at least once when sampled during a quarter second period (this
>allows cars that use pulse width modulation to work correctly).

>The display should no longer appear dim until the player starts running.

Well ....
Okay, the display is not dim in the car anymore when booting up !!
-fixed-

But the Light sense works strange for me ... or is it somehow my installation ?!

-> When i have no lights turned on, the display is dim, so -> not readable in daylight ...
WHEN i have my light on, the display has normal brightness ...

I think this is supposed to work exactly the other way round ?!?!

Anyways, now i have to drive with lights on all day ... is it safe to go back to 12a again ??

Nils

By the way, you have to make it an option anyways, as the Scandinavians have to drive around with light on all day by law ...

#11634 - 21/07/2000 03:16 Re: 12b dim & light sense bug [Re: Nils]
teemcbee
addict

>for the light sense being 0 volts, one for the light sense being at +12 volts

When i have no lights turned on, the display is dim, so -> not readable in daylight ...
WHEN i have my light on, the display has normal brightness ...

Seems like the logic has to be excanged...

This looks like the same problem as with the phone mute.
Some cars / handsfree-sets have a positive logic (+12 V - on / 0 V - off) others a negative logic.

Wouldn't be too bad to be able to configure this in a ini-file (or to be able to make some settings like this via emplode).

TeeMcBee

#11635 - 21/07/2000 03:22 Mike was smarter than me :-) AGAIN ... [Re: teemcbee]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hello !
I just got an email from Mike, telling me how it works, BRILLIANT, here is his email:

-----------------------
The dim levels are fully configurable for both modes. With the lights off
just go into the dimmer menu and turn it up to 100%, with them on go in and
turn it down. It remembers the settings independently for lights on and
lights off.

--
Mike Crowe
empeg ltd
-----------------------

Okay, very nice, eager to try it out in some hours, have to work now, grrrrr

Nils

P.S. Damn, i need a wife earning lots of money and looking awesome, so i have time enough to actually *play* with my gadgets, don't you think it's a shame we all have to work for getting those toys ???
(my gilfriend IS nice, but she doesn't earn enough money to finance me :-)

#11636 - 21/07/2000 03:25 Re: Mike was smarter than me :-) AGAIN ... [Re: Nils]
teemcbee
addict

P.S. Damn, i need a wife earning lots of money and looking awesome, so i have time enough to actually *play* with my
gadgets, don't you think it's a shame we all have to work for getting those toys ???
(my gilfriend IS nice, but she doesn't earn enough money to finance me :-)

Yep - that would be comfortable

This way of configuration is cool! PaulH or someone else - What about posting it into the BBS (those things about level-input of mute/dashlight etc)? I think there will be more questions about that.

TeeMcBee

Edited by teemcbee on 21/7/00 11:28 AM.

#11637 - 21/07/2000 04:15 Re: 12b dim & light sense bug [Re: Nils]
jfranke

This is mostlikely my stupidity even though I doubt it since I did a very careful install, but this is what happens to me:

Again, it could be a crossed the mute end light wires but I doubt it.

Lights:
Lights out: Display dark
turning lights on: Display bright, player mutes, phone symbol appears
turning lights back off: Display dark, still mute

Phone: Nothing happens wether I reveive a call or not.

IF I really swapped the wires, that doesn't explain why the player doesn't go out of mute when I turn the light back off. So there might be something else wrong ?

Is it safe to go back to 12a ? I need to know since I do not have the time to check the wiring. TA! J.

(Posted to bugs as well)

#11638 - 21/07/2000 07:10 Re: 12b dim & light sense bug [Re: teemcbee]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Wouldn't be too bad to be able to configure this
Agree, but this has already been implemented in the player, as explained elsewhere in this thread, although the way it was done was a bit frightening.

Like the other folks I guess, I was kind of shocked when my Mk2 went totally black after initialising itself. It took a while before remembering the new dimming feature, I switched on the headlights and bingo, the screen was back. Doing this from a black screen was kind of difficult though.

I believe future roll-out of Mk2's will benefit when the initial setting for the dimming feature was say 50%, rather than the screen being totally black

make (..) settings like this via emplode
No, please! Emplode is a bad place to do car-dependent settings.

Doing it via emplode would require that the player is taken inside the home to adjust it to the way a specific car is wired. Imagine, that you have it incorrectly set for a (long) journey: all muted, or without UI (dimmed).

Setting them via emplode, will also seriously hamper switching the player between vehicles. Can you imagine, hooking the player up to emplode every time it is exchanged between vehicles??

Rob/Mike/Hugo - please rethink the mute strategy / move it to the set-up of the player itself.

Henno
mk2 nr 6

#11639 - 21/07/2000 07:13 Re: 12b dim & light sense bug [Re: Henno]
teemcbee
addict

Doing it via emplode would require that the player is taken inside the home to adjust it to the way a specific car is wired. Imagine, that you have it
incorrectly set for a (long) journey: all muted, or without UI (dimmed).

Setting them via emplode, will also seriously hamper switching the player between vehicles. Can you imagine, hooking the player up to emplode
every time it is exchanged between vehicles??

I didn't think about adjusting the brightness of display with emplode but defining general purposes of the empeg (polarity/sensivity of phone mute or headlights)

TeeMcBee

#11640 - 21/07/2000 09:01 Re: 12b dim & light sense bug [Re: jfranke]
jfranke

OK I have checked on the stuff:

If the 'Mute' is set to '12V', what I have described above happens:
If I turn the lights on, the display goes dim (can be adjusted by the dimmer settings as suggested above), the phone icon appears and it's on mute. When I turn the light back off, it stays in mute and there is no was to get it back out unless I reset the player.

When 'Mute' is set either to off or 0V, the dim just works normal on 'lights-on', but of course phone mute doesn't work. Mute works under no condition therefor. Sorry can't send mail to empeg my mailserver just crashed. Tks, J.

#11641 - 21/07/2000 12:35 Re: Mike was smarter than me :-) AGAIN ... [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What about posting it into the BBS (those things about level-input of mute/dashlight etc)?

Yeah. Hey, Di, stick that in the FAQ, that's a biggie. I'd do it but I'm on someone else's computer and pressed for time.

#11642 - 22/07/2000 01:31 Re: 12b dim & light sense bug [Re: teemcbee]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Doing it via emplode would require that the player is taken inside the home to adjust it to the way a specific car is wired. Imagine, that you have it
incorrectly set for a (long) journey: all muted, or without UI (dimmed).
Setting them via emplode, will also seriously hamper switching the player between vehicles. Can you imagine, hooking the player up to emplode
every time it is exchanged between vehicles??

I disagree. Have both. I think that some of the menus need tidying up and standardising but all the feature that are available which are settable, should be available on both. Changing between car and home mode could be done by a tab on the prefs box. This would make editing parameters so much easier.

Murray 06000047