Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25404 - 21/01/2001 19:06 1.02 -- still do'in the music database dance
gryng
stranger

Eeek, perhaps I've broken something earlier when I tried to fix the infamous music database rebuild bug. (which at the time I did not realize was a bug, I thought perhaps it was my fault). However, I only attempted to delete the database files in various ways, at various times, to no avail nor adverse effect.

Anyway, I was quite happy to see 1.02 was out -and- that it perported to fix this bug. However, my unit still spends it's time building the music database after a power off.

It doesn't really bother me -too- much, I'm just glad there is the standby mode for when I have it in my bug. I'm also glad I didn't buy the larger 36 gig model and settled for the 12 :) , or else I think the several minute wait -that- would require -would- bug me.

In anycase, I was hoping to report this bug, for some usefulness to yourselves, and also in the distant hope that maybe there is a simple reason and fix for my peculiar case. If there is any other information you need, or any queries need be made by me to my unit, feel free to ask away. One last note, I'm using the 1.02 developer image.

Sine cera,
Gryn

#25405 - 21/01/2001 19:29 Re: 1.02 -- still do'in the music database dance [Re: gryng]
gryng
stranger

D'oh, I hate mice. I just posted a reply to this, and well, instead of hitting the scroll up button, I seemed to have jumped and hit the window close button! Sigh. Well to put things in a more compact form this time around:

I fiddled around with emplode for windows (instead of my regular emptool for linux), and after syncing I found that my unit now works correctly! That is to say, it does not rebuild the music database anymore.

Well, in anycase this will hopefully help someone else that had a similar issue, and hopefully I didn't make an ass out of myself. Additionally, thanks to the two people who have read the post already in this short time -- I'm sure your the sympathetic kind and I'm thankful for the quiet sympathy :) .

Ciao and good night,
Gryn

#25406 - 21/01/2001 19:34 Re: 1.02 -- still do'in the music database dance [Re: gryng]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I fiddled around with emplode for windows (instead of my regular emptool for linux), and after syncing I found that my unit now works correctly! That is to say, it does not rebuild the music database anymore.

Right. That's because it needs read-write access to the disk in order to fix things. When you boot it up normally (such as in the car), the disks are read-only, so the "rebuilding music database" thing is only temporary.

When you perform a synch, the disks are mounted read-write. So when it rebuilds the database as part of a synch, it's got a chance to fix whatever problems it's having.