Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#57572 - 10/01/2002 15:22 Nearly 2 Gigs LOST
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I just posted this in the "Technical" Forum but realized that it is better off here.

I just cut all of the "C's" from my Artists A-C list and pasted into another folder.

As emplode was sync'ing, I noticed it said "deleting XXXX" "deleting xxx" (xxx = song titles) I thought maybe it was its way of pasting.....

Well, all of my C artists are gone! Nearly 2 Gigs worth!!! I am freaking out! Is there anyway to recover these FID's at all? Please help!

Running 2.07B

doing an advanced search of "refs=0" shows nothing.... any help please!

#57573 - 10/01/2002 15:28 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Chuck

I believe this is the know "move" bug that Roger found himself.

#57574 - 10/01/2002 15:29 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: Chuck]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I'm searching for that thread.... no way to recover?

#57575 - 10/01/2002 15:31 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Chuck

Unfortunately, there is no way to recover them, they are deleted.

#57576 - 10/01/2002 15:56 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, that is correct, you have deleted the files from the player and they are officially gone.

More details:

- It is a known bug in the new beta. It does not happen on the non-beta version 1.03. It was reported on this BBS in several places at least a week ago.

- It only happens when you MOVE files on the player, not when you copy them.

- It only happens after you have deleted a file using the latest beta, and you checked that little box which says "I always want to delete files on the player whenever I delete them from a playlist". (I forget the exact wording of that box.)

- From now on, that little box you checked also deletes files that you move, too (gets over-zealous.)

#57577 - 10/01/2002 15:59 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wait. Didn't the player actually leave old unconnected FIDs laying around on the hard disk and just wrote over them?

If some of those lost files aren't on your PC's hard disk any more, maybe they're still on the player if you have any way of finding them? Using the FTP server in Mark's kernel you might be able to grab them if they're still there.

Dunno how you would find them if you didn't know which FIDs they were. Unless you just HAPPENED to have a recent CSV dump from emplode lying around.

#57578 - 10/01/2002 16:16 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: Chuck]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
It doesn't delete them off your source drive, though right? just the empeg? I mean if you're synching from a windows box, it won't delete the originals?

Greg

#57579 - 10/01/2002 18:39 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: grgcombs]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Well, I don't have the ftp installed and I wouldn't have any way to know which FID's they were...

So the files are GONE GONE even if they exsisted in other playlists (this would only be a handful because I usually don't cross-reference my files)?? I hope not... cuz, for example, not only would all my Chemical Brothers songs be gone, but all of the songs they remixed for other bands...

Some good news:
I at least know that all the deleted files had artists that began with "C". And I know how many artists were deleted (I had just writen down how many playlists were in the A-C list.)

Well, I take all responsibility for this... I remember seeing Bruno's warning thread. I just never opened it because I had 2.07Beta running for a while with no incident and just figured I'd be fine... sigh. Even if there was no warning, I assume risk by installing a Beta software. I am kinda surprised this got past Alpha testing, but that is certainly no one's fault and we begged and begged for the next beta.

edit: I do all of my uploading with my notebook that only has a 10GB drive.... so there are no back-ups...

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (10/01/2002 18:41)

#57580 - 10/01/2002 21:07 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
you don't have these songs stored elsewhere though? what do you usually synch up against?

g

#57581 - 11/01/2002 02:49 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: grgcombs]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Your originals (on the PC) are not touched by emplode. The FID files on the empeg _will_ be deleted, though.

#57582 - 11/01/2002 05:43 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: grgcombs]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

When you sync, you are not sync'ing up against anything. Just the little creatiion you are making in emplode. Sync'ing does not mirror a database of tunes on your pc. If I had the space (and now may look into getting a 3.5" HD USB case with a monster drive) that would be neat though and several people have brought it up.

I have about 600+ CD's.

The hard part: Not only were all my Cure CD's removed (a simple week's worth or re-ripping) but so were their songs from any soundtracks or compilations. Also, any Cure covers by other bands. I kept all of these in the "Cure, The" playlist in "Artists A-C".... Not too mention any of the rare stuff that is out of print like The Cure's "Purple Haze". The same goes for the Chemical Brothers which contained all of the tons and tons of remix work they had done.... Crystal Meathod, The Church, The Cult, Charlatins UK. etc etc

#57583 - 11/01/2002 06:04 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Just a note about external HD enclosures:

I went the USB route some while ago, but it turned out _way_ to slow. More than about 500KByte/s was rarely encountered, never more than about 600kByte/s. While this is okay for playback purposes, larger copies (like copying a part of my music collection to/from that disk to my Linux fileserver) were annoying at best, playback of ripped DVDs pratically impossible.
I then went for the FireWire route and must say that the extra bucks (for the PCMCIA- and PCI-FireWire adapters, the enclosures were about the same price) were very well spent. Transfer rates aren't any different from those of my internal HDs, be it those in the Desktop or Notebook.
Also, while the USB enclosures need their own power adapter, the FireWire ones can easily be powered from the FireWire cable, so I only need one external AC adapter to power both my external DVD and my external HD, and that one is only needed for my Notebook, the Desktop uses its own AC adapter to also power the firewire units.

cu,
sven

#57584 - 11/01/2002 06:37 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: smu]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Smu, is there any one in particular that you recommend? Are there and ethernet ones? How much do firewire cards go for? I wouldn't have any use for firewire except that box but, depending on price, it may be worth it.

#57585 - 11/01/2002 07:12 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

Hi.

I use both firewire adapters and external enclosure from EXSYS. I know these are available in the US as well, but I can't find a good URL for that. Anyway, the archos devices use the same FireWire-to-IDE adapter chip, so they should work just as well. And AFAIK, pretty much every supplier of such enclosures are using the same chips. So not much difference there.
The PCMCIA and PCI adapters are a different story though, but appart from that fact, I can't give much detail. I just know that some are making trouble, with DV camcorders especially. These FireWire adapters are available (without video editing software) as cheap (or expensive) as 50$ approximately.
I don't know of any standalone-fileservers for Ethernet that are even remotely near the price regions of USB/FireWire enclosures. Actually, you can get whole PCs for the price of those.

cu,
sven

#57586 - 11/01/2002 09:26 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: smu]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I think I may go with USB because this thing is strickly going to be a back up (no streaming)... and I use USB to load my songs on the empeg anyway, so I'm a bit used to it. Also, I found one that supports USB2... I don't have USB2 on my notebook, but this will expand the possibilities.

Here is what I found. $220 for a 80GB 5400rpm drive. I imagine that upgrading the drive won't be too hard either. They sell 7200rpm models.. but with USB, what's the point? The specs mention something about Firewire, but I think that is a typo.

Comments?

#57587 - 11/01/2002 11:27 Re: Nearly 2 Gigs LOST [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

The mention of FireWire is probably really a typo, after all, they list all possible interfaces. But beyond that typo, there are units that allow FireWire connects as well as USB 2.0, I would have to search for those (in a magazine at home), but if you would like me to, just drop a mail.

cu,
sven

PS: That email address is only valid this month, after that, it will get blocked.