Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7917 - 12/04/2000 01:02 Re: Slow-motion bug
soul
new poster

Loc: West Australia
Hiya,

I have also experienced the "slow motion" bug that tfabris has seen.

I have only been using beta-10 on the unit since it was installed in my MR2 roughly 1-2 weeks ago.

Just yesterday I had the unit go "slowmo" on me. Stuttering audio, the unit wouldn't respond to the buttons on the front very well (very slow response, and occasionally ignoring them completely). It took me a good ten minutes of turning the unit on and off and/or removing the unit from the sled before it finally seemed to come back.

I was running one of the star background info visuals. I was worried that the unit was over heating (it wasn't, was actually very cool). I was also worried that either the hdd had decided to get upset (panic!!) or that the mp3's it was playing had problems on them. I haven't been able to follow this up in any way yet.

Help!? I'm worried something is wrong with my (very expensive!) unit!

Also, last weekend I had one situation where the audio kept emitting a constant high pitched "beep" over and over. Only way I could stop it was to pull the unit out. When I did this I noticed it was pretty warm. A reset and it was fine.

-soul

#7918 - 12/04/2000 08:02 Re: Slow-motion bug [Re: soul]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've never seen heat affect the unit. It contains no amplifiers, and very little in the way of moving parts, so heat isn't likely to be a factor in any of the problems you describe.

It's interesting that the "slo-mo" bug you had took so long to correct. I've seen it happen a few times, and I was always able to correct it instantly by forcing a hard reboot of the unit (by removing it from the sled or removing its power plug).

The fact that it was running one of the starfield visuals when the slomo bug hit is good information. I, too, have only had it happen when I've been running visuals. I haven't had it happen since I've been in love with the "Now and Next" info screen. Perhaps it's related to the unit starting with certain visuals on the screen?

The high-pitched "beep" problem... Was it the standard beeping that's built-in to the unit? Was it indicating a stuck button?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7919 - 15/04/2000 21:49 Re: Slow-motion bug [Re: soul]
Lord Bleys

Happened to me today. I'm running beta10 (note: NOT beta10a), I had just started the car, unit came up in slo-mo mode. Audio sounded/played fine but the visual (funnelweb) was amazingly slow -- changing once every 3-4 seconds, at best.

Powering down the unit (via the button console) and then turning it back on did not help. Removing the unit from its sled and then re-inserting it (forced powerfail) made the problem go away.

The fact that the audio was OK seems to lend credence to Tony's thought that it's a visual-related issue. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that a powerfail was necessary to rectify the situation...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#7920 - 16/04/2000 05:15 Re: Slow-motion bug [Re: Lord Bleys]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
A powerdown (ie, power off from menu or buttons) doesn't do a lot except turn the screen off - the player app is still running.

A powerfail obviously restarts the player software.

Hugo

#7921 - 17/04/2000 16:26 Re: Slow-motion bug [Re: tfabris]
corby
journeyman

I, too, have only had it happen when I've been running visuals. I haven't had it happen since I've been in love with the "Now and Next" info screen. Perhaps it's related to the unit starting with certain visuals on the screen?

I had it happen to me this morning (beta 10a) when I started the car (to the Info screen, of course, no visuals).

Corby
SN#320,6-Gig Blue