Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7924 - 15/04/2000 08:53 Buffer underrun??
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Occasionally, my empeg stops playing for half a second or so in the middle of a track; then continues. When the same track is re-played, the gap is not there. It happens infrequently; haven't been able to reproduce it at will, so I can't tell if playback is interupted, or skipped. It is not visuals related. Could it be that the empeg's buffer runs out of data??

I haven't seen this prior to version 10.

Henno
# 00120

#7925 - 15/04/2000 09:03 Re: Buffer underrun?? [Re: Henno]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have experienced this as well. It's rare, and it's intermittent, and not reproducible.

Somehow I doubt it's a cache underrun, though. I seem to remember that it happens mostly when a visual is on the screen, I can't seem to remember it happening on the track-info or now-next screens. Anyone confirm/deny this?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7926 - 19/04/2000 10:22 Re: Buffer underrun?? [Re: tfabris]
Henno
addict

I seem to remember that it happens mostly when a visual is on the screen

It's definitely not visual related. On a long trip, yesterday, I made sure that visuals were off (visual option). With only 'track info' showing, playback skipped in track 18 and 44 (out of a total of 50 tracks played)

Henno
# 00120

#7927 - 19/04/2000 18:53 Re: Buffer underrun?? [Re: Henno]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
...playback skipped in track 18 and 44 (out of a total of 50 tracks played)

I doubt the sequence of the tracks was the problem. Do these tracks alone produce the underrun? can you play the list again and have it repeat?

#7928 - 20/04/2000 15:25 Re: Buffer underrun?? [Re: muzza]
Henno
addict

can you play the list again and have it repeat?

The skip is not a fault in the MP3 file, if that's what you mean. Every time it happened (some 4 times after version 10A/B), I've skipped back to the beginning of the track to replay it. All the tracks that showed defect played perfectly well the seconf time around. I've tried to re-play the same (shuffled) playlist to reproduce the fault, but haven't managed yet. Skipping forward to the same song does not reproduce the fault. WIll be on a long trip Tuesday. WiIl see if (and where) Emma skips again, then

Henno
# 00120

#7929 - 25/04/2000 11:24 Re: Buffer underrun - II [Re: Henno]
Henno
addict

can you play the list again and have it repeat?

Yes, I played the same playlist this afternoon, and exactly the same skip occured in exactly the same song. The error still looks to buffer underrun to me, as it only occures when two or more tracks are played before the track that fails. When only a single track is skipped back, or when the track itself is replayed, the error does not happen. Thus the fault is definitely not in the data, I believe. I couldn't reproduce it either by appending the subject song to a 'direct select' playlist - irrespective of the number of tracks that are played before the error is suppose to happen.

I'm still thinking of a buffer underrun, but it could also be related to Emma's difficulty with processing VBR files (almost tracks on my Empeg are VBR).

In playing around with the Emma, I've reproduced the error 6-7 times, always in the same original playlist. The pause happened 12-13 seconds into track 18 and lasts about a second. In playing around with the append mode I've lost the list. The track is still available, of course.

Henno
# 00120

#7930 - 25/04/2000 15:08 Re: Buffer underrun - II [Re: Henno]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Can you try the button fix interim upgrade? The sound driver has been replaced with an improved one which might possibly help.

Hugo

#7931 - 25/04/2000 15:56 Re: Buffer underrun - II [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

Can you try the button fix interim upgrade?

I wasn't planning to (have no sticky problems ), but will load the upgrade in a minute and will let you know

Henno
# 00120