Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10817 - 05/07/2000 18:18 Possible MkII bug
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
OK, I had my Mk 2 (#25) installed this afternoon in my Miata.

The first time I powered off the car, while playing a tune, the unit powered off (well, the screen went blank) about a second or so after the ignition was turned off. This seemed to make sense, give or take.

The second time I powered off the car, I had a tune paused. This time, the unit did NOT shut itself down, but instead I had to remove it from the chassis to power it off. My initial thoughts were "Hmmm, maybe I mis-remembered the first time's events and they actually wired the chassis live off the battery instead of the ignition?" except that replacing the unit did NOT turn it back on (until I turned the key).

Is there a bug in the ignition-wire-voltage-detection code such that it doesn't recognize loss of power if its paused?

D

#10818 - 06/07/2000 02:10 Re: Possible MkII bug [Re: Dredd]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
No, shouldn't be. It *does* have to spin up the HDDs currently before powering off, but I'm about to remove that bug :)

The way to check the wiring: put the empeg in with the igniton off. Check it doesn't start up. Turn ignition on, check it powers up. That's about it.

Hugo

#10819 - 06/07/2000 09:07 Re: Possible MkII bug [Re: altman]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
As I said.. the wiring appears fine, just that if the unit was paused while I turned off the vehicle, it either "didn't notice" or "didn't feel it was ready to power itself down". (Obviously I can't tell the difference externally *G*)

D

#10820 - 06/07/2000 12:02 Re: Possible MkII bug [Re: Dredd]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hmm. Can't replicate it here (it powers down on pause no problem) so I guess if there was a problem, it'll be gone in a future release.

The code that checks for power down is run totally regardless of what the player is doing (in another thread) and so I can't see why there would be any side-effects. If your accessory line has a long decay time then this might be a problem, as it would have to dip below about 4v for the empeg to notice.

Hugo