Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook

Posted by: JaBZ

Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 00:39

The Powerbook I'm looking at is a 15.2", 1.25Ghz, 512MB, 80GB, Superdrive.

My question is does anyone know of any known issues/defects I should look out for on these models? I already know about the white spots on the LCD issue..
Posted by: loren

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 00:56

RAM slots. Some had defects where one of the RAM slots stopped detecting RAM... I can't recall which one. I had my logic board replaced due to this issue. There was also a battery recall. Check on Apple's support website for serial number details.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 01:38

Aluminum, I assume (Titaniums topped out at 1ghz, right?)

The LCD white spots affected my 1ghz Ti, all the other issues I know of were with the Ti (case flexing could short the motherboard, the display video connector could come loose, the case could crack notably near the hinges)
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 04:19

Some people consider the way the lid closes (or doesn't close) on the Aluminum G4s a defect, but it's more of a slight design flaw, or a feature depending on how you look at it. I've seen a few of them where, for whatever reason, the keyboard was actuallyy making contact with the screen and scratching it noticably. Apple provides little cloth thingies to put in between the screen and keyboard, but I've never needed one on either of mine.

Earlier Alu G4s had dodgy latches that wouldn't keep the lid closed, haven't seen any of those complaints in a long time.

Nothing else, really. They're perfect machines. Go get one.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 05:54

Based on the specs, it sounds like the exact model I have, and it is the first revision of the 15 inch aluminum design. So, possible flaws, and their fixes:

1. White spots on the screen. This revison was affected nearly universally in the begining, due to the position of LCD screen spacers on the back between the LCD and aluminum cover. I still have a background somewhere that circles the exact spots they will appear in. For me, it took two months of carying it around for them to start to show up. Apple fixes this free of charge, and if you get a good service center, they can do the repair in store in 20 minutes. If the Powerbook was bought after January 2004, it is not likely to have this issue.

2. Dangerous battery. This affected batteries sold January 2004-August 2004, and only certain ones. To identify them, go here. If you are affected, Apple ships you a new battery at no charge.

3. Latch issue. As commented by others, you may notice the latch doesn't keep the lid closed. My unit did this after two weeks notice. Fix was to catch the latch before it hid in the lid, and bend it down a smidge. Problem has never occured again of the latch not staying shut.

I'm not sure about the ram issue, this was the first I heard of it, so it may not be an issue on your model.
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 08:43

Quote:
Based on the specs, it sounds like the exact model I have, and it is the first revision of the 15 inch aluminum design.

Yea it's a PowerBook G4 15-inch Aluminum, 1.25GHz, 80GB, 512MB, Superdrive, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth

Quote:

So, possible flaws, and their fixes:

1. White spots on the screen. This revison was affected nearly universally in the begining, due to the position of LCD screen spacers on the back between the LCD and aluminum cover. I still have a background somewhere that circles the exact spots they will appear in. For me, it took two months of carying it around for them to start to show up. Apple fixes this free of charge, and if you get a good service center, they can do the repair in store in 20 minutes. If the Powerbook was bought after January 2004, it is not likely to have this issue.

I had a look at the display extension program, It doesnt have the spots in the indicated areas after changing the backgroud to the indicated color.

The serial number doesn't fall within the range affected, and the manufacture date falls after March 2004

Quote:

2. Dangerous battery. This affected batteries sold January 2004-August 2004, and only certain ones. To identify them, go here. If you are affected, Apple ships you a new battery at no charge.

Battery checks out fine, serial doesn't fall within range.

Quote:

3. Latch issue. As commented by others, you may notice the latch doesn't keep the lid closed. My unit did this after two weeks notice. Fix was to catch the latch before it hid in the lid, and bend it down a smidge. Problem has never occured again of the latch not staying shut.

Tested latch, no issues

Quote:

I'm not sure about the ram issue, this was the first I heard of it, so it may not be an issue on your model.

Asked about this, apparently this model is not affected.

So I did the trade I'm typing up this reply on my Powerbook
Posted by: loren

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 09:47

Congrats! Welcome to the club within' the club. =]
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 17/02/2005 14:43

That's not the first revision. It's the second. You're safe from the 5-spot problem on the screen, you're safe from the keyboard touching the screen, you've already verified the battery (which has no time limit on replacement as far as I know anyway), and it's doubtful the latch will cause a problem in the future unless you bend it yourself on purpose or by accident (dont know how you'd do it by accident). Check to make sure the keyboard is sitting flush with the surface of the bottom case. It shouldn't pop up and down like mine does (from a crappy repair job - I'll be taking it agin directly to Apple soon).

Definitely get a case for it - unless you plan to handle it with super gentleness at all times. Even then, get a case. I'm talking either a slip case or other tight-fitting case like the Crumpler School Hymn. The benefits are numerous:

Protects the paint - it can (and for some people is guaranteed to) chip. Should lessen the likelihood that the top (screen half) becomes mis-aligned with the bottom half - I've seen this on so many people's PowerBooks. Let you put it into a bag without the first two things happening - they're practically guaranteed to happen if you put the PB into a loose fitting bag with other crap in it. A good case will let you ouse the PB without removing it - this lessens the chance of burning yourself on the bottom of the PB.

You can get a mat/cloth to put over the keys when you close it if you'd like. I'll probably get something like this. Your screen doesn't touch the keys, but something like this will prevent the case from bobbing the 2mm or so of clearance mentioned by Tony.

Bruno

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 18/02/2005 16:23

First 15 inch Aluminum was 1.0ghz for the low end (typicially 40 or 60 gb drive and combo drive) and 1.25ghz for the high end (80gb drive and superdrive). The second revision moved to 1.33 being the low end, and 1.5 being the high end, released April 2004.

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 19/02/2005 02:41

Looks like you're right - I miscounted how many machines have actually been released. I was pretty sure the last ones were the fourth. But I think there's been a model in there that was never released (we get a lot of stuff coming through )

Bruno
Posted by: Dylan

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 19/02/2005 16:05

I've got Apple envy. Steve Jobs master plan has worked on me. I bought an iPod because I like it's design aesthetic. That got me to use iTunes which, in turn, got me to buy an Airport Express. These Apple purchases have caused me to make numerous trips to the local Apple store. I'm now on the cusp of being a convert. I really like Apple's design philosophy and the hardware prices are now close enough that it's not a big factor.

I have to maintain a Windows laptop for work but I'd like a very portable machine to play with. Say, you could spend in the $1000 ballpark. Would you go for a new iBook or a used PowerBook? Portability and battery life are the most important features for me. I think I'll be using for anything particularly processor intensive. I'd like the machine to be durable - I don't have much patience for products that I have to baby (the machine is here to serve me, not the other way around).

Suggestions?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 19/02/2005 18:07

Quote:
Portability and battery life are the most important features for me.

Based on this statement, the iBook would be your choice. The iBooks are generally known to have better battery life than the Powerbooks for a given size.

However, when I made this same decision (chronicled in this forum about a year ago) the thing that tipped the balance for me was not battery life, portability, or processor power, but limited display resolution. The 12" and1 4" iBooks only go up to 1024 x 768 resolution, whereas the 15" Powerbook (which I ended up going with) goes up to 1280 x 854.

In terms of the Powerbook battery life, with moderate use, I typically get 2-2.5 hours. If I'm pegging the CPU and actively using it the whole time, that can go down to 1-1.5 hours. Results vary, but I don't think you'll see 3-4 hour battery life from a Powerbook.

If you do decide to go the Powerbook route, I'm selling one. My EBay auction fell through (deadbeat buyer) so I'm offering mine for $1,100 plus shipping.

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 19/02/2005 18:42

Quote:
I was pretty sure the last ones were the fourth. But I think there's been a model in there that was never released

Yeah, a lot of people are calling the newest ones "Rev D". Likely because it is the 4th revision of the 12 and 17 inch aluminum designs, but only the third of the 15 inch. All due to that weird 8 months where Apple had the 12 and 17 inch aluminum models released in January, and the Titanium 15 inch up till August. I was one of the many people that wanted a Powerbook that year, and kept waiting for an announcement of a 15 inch aluminum model. I just hope similar doesn't happen again, but I could see the G5 transition only starting on the 17 inch, then working its way down over time.

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 19/02/2005 18:46

Yeah, those were the "crappy" NVIDIA 12 and 17" models. Boo hiss... The Ti completely out-classed them. Good thing Apple saw the light on at least the 17" model.

Bruno
Posted by: Daria

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 19/02/2005 23:01

The iBook is the durable one. The metal cases of the Ti and Al PowerBooks are actually less durable, whereas you can thrash an iBook.

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 20/02/2005 11:03

Oh you tempt me, Tony. The impulsive side of me is screaming "take it! take it!" but it's really not the machine I'm looking for.

I hear you about resolution. If this were going to be my primary machine then resolution would be a top consideration. In fact, one of the reasons I never seriously considered a 15" PowerBook is because it isn't high enough resolution. My Windows laptop has a 15.4" 1680x1050 screen. I have found this to be an ideal laptop screen. I think it's a waste to pay the price in size and power usage of a 15" screen and only get 1280x854.

So if I get a Mac now it will be as a second machine I can take to the coffee shop and that sort of thing. Basically, a little toy and you guys tell me the iBook is better suited for that. Now... if Apple comes out with the rumoured 1920x1200 17" PowerBook then I may be tempted to make the switch for real.

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 21/02/2005 14:13

I've been tricked! I bought a new 12" iBook yesterday but somehow it's for my wife and not me. Her 4 year old, 8 pound clunker of a Windows laptop is falling apart and close to unusable. So in a clever bit of trickery, she twisted my gadget lust into a new machine for her. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it happened. I'm also trying to figure out how I walked out of the Apple store having spent $1500 when I only intended to buy a $1000 machine.

Can anyone suggest a guide (online or print) for new Mac users? So far we're most confused by the lack of a right mouse button. How about a guide to essential software I can download?

Re: Trading in my iBook for a Powerbook - 21/02/2005 14:44

Buy a two button mouse for when you have desk space available and learn to use the CONTROL key when you use the trackpad's button.

You can also install the new trackpad driver I posted about and then you can get RMB by holding two fingers on the pad and clicking.

Bruno