Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Topic Options
#370957 - 16/05/2018 04:12 Invoicing service?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Looking for advice from folks who invoice. What do you use? Quickbooks Online? Do you like it?

I've been using Freshbooks for 7 freaking years, and today I learned that they'll be raising my plan from an already absurd $30/month to $50/month. $360/year is already hard to swallow, but $600/year is obscene for what I'm getting. I don't use it for anything other than invoicing. No payroll, inventory, time tracking, not even any kind of accounting.

Quickbooks Online looks like it'll do everything I'm doing now for $10/month. I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something. Anyone out there have experience with it?

#370958 - 16/05/2018 14:31 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Quickbooks Online ... Anyone out there have experience with it?

I've not used QuickBooks, so if you are committed to using a pre-packaged solution for your invoicing, this answer won't be helpful to you.

But, it strikes me that it would not be too difficult to create a simple invoicing system in Excel that did rudimentary accounting along with printing the invoices.

Of course, I am an Excel geek thoroughly trapped in the "If your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" paradigm, and would no doubt enjoy the challenge of setting up such a system a lot more than you might. Unless you really enjoy tinkering and expanding your Excel knowledge, $10 a month would be your better option.

tanstaafl.

#370959 - 16/05/2018 16:01 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I suspect Matt is invoicing a group of people every month, so an automated service would be good.

If not, then yeah, Excel or an old copy of Quickbooks would be what I'd do.

#370960 - 16/05/2018 19:39 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Freshbooks does give me some features that Excel files wouldn't.

-I don't want to organize a bunch of Excel files
-mobile app lets me send an invoice on-site
-online payments
-client history
-the ability to see if a client has viewed my invoice yet
-send payment receipts with a couple button clicks

There are others, but basically the idea of sending out a bunch of Excel files sounds like a nightmare to me. I have a large number of small amounts that I invoice for, so I'd be sending out dozens of Excel files every month.

#370961 - 16/05/2018 19:40 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: larry818]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: larry818
I suspect Matt is invoicing a group of people every month, so an automated service would be good.

If not, then yeah, Excel or an old copy of Quickbooks would be what I'd do.

Only a small number of the invoices are automated, but those are pretty important to have. I have customers who are auto-billed every month to a credit card on file. Certainly can't do that with Excel.

(no shade on Excel, which I actually like quite a bit)

#370962 - 16/05/2018 20:56 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I use Quickbooks (manufacturer's edition, from 2008, accounting hasn't changed in 3,000 years or more, I don't see the need to ever "upgrade"...) and from the constant barrage of advertising Intuit sends me, it seems the online version will do all that you want.

#370963 - 17/05/2018 01:19 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: larry818]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: larry818
I use Quickbooks (manufacturer's edition, from 2008, accounting hasn't changed in 3,000 years or more, I don't see the need to ever "upgrade"...) and from the constant barrage of advertising Intuit sends me, it seems the online version will do all that you want.

Lol I know what you mean. Usually the only reason that ANY of my clients need to upgrade either Quicken or Quickbooks is when they get a new computer. I recently dragged a customer off of their Windows XP machine and Quicken 2004 smile

#370964 - 17/05/2018 02:14 Re: Invoicing service? [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Guadalajara, MX
Check out Expensify. They do invoices. I've only used them for expenses, but it might be the ticket for ya.