Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284438 - 14/07/2006 13:11 Weird Shuttle problem
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
So my fiancee's Shuttle system (that I built for her about three years ago) is having this strange problem. If you push the power button, absolutely nothing happens. Then about two minutes later, the computer turns on and starts booting.

Any ideas?

ps-completely unrelated, does anyone know of an online company that makes custom device cases? I need a case for my MP3 player and can't find one the right size/design.

#284439 - 14/07/2006 13:29 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Is the physical button "sticky"? Perhaps the contact (or button cap) is sticking or binding on something and it just takes time for it to release.

#284440 - 14/07/2006 13:51 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
ps-completely unrelated, does anyone know of an online company that makes custom device cases?

There's a fella on the mp3car forums whose handle is VeritasForge. He does custom cases for the folks there and does a pretty decent job (check out the one in the thread I linked.) He generally works with steel, not aluminum, but he may be able to do aluminum too.

Another example.

Wait a minute...are we talking about computer cases or like a soft carrying case?

#284441 - 14/07/2006 14:45 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
There's a place in Monterey where I grew up that makes custom wetsuits for scuba diving. Last time I was in there they had a large sign that said something to the effect of "no, we won't make you a neoprene case for ..." Not really helpfull advice, but it seemed relevant.

Matthew

#284442 - 14/07/2006 14:46 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'll check that out, it's an interesting idea. I'll see if it's even something that's fixable (I don't know if I'll be able to get into the button its self).

Quote:
Wait a minute...are we talking about computer cases or like a soft carrying case?

Yeah, sorry, I'm talking about "small" leather cases. I need something that I can carry my MP3 player in. I'm basically looking for soft, thin leather, a belt clip, vertically oriented, no velcro, and it has to fit something with the dimensions of 5.2"x3.1"x.75". It doesn't even have to have holes for headphones. I've looked all over and can't find anything like this, and I can't seem to find any companies that make things like this.

#284443 - 14/07/2006 15:25 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I got a case for my Ipaq hx4700 from Sena and I love it. They make cases for cell phone, pda's, MP3 players, etc..

#284444 - 14/07/2006 17:01 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Attack]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Neat! They have a great selection. I think I remember them from when I was looking for an Axim case, and I was thinking about going with theirs. Maybe if I contact them with the dimensions I need, they'll be able to point me towards a case that will work...

Thanks!

#284445 - 14/07/2006 18:43 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I've seen this too, actually - both on my shuttle and a friend's one. The switch is working fine, it's just the PSU seems to have a crisis - just when you think it's toast, it comes on and works fine as if nothing was up.

Not really looked into it much as, well, it works (and my shuttle is my single permanently-on box, doing my Skype USB phone & X10 control amongst other things)

Hugo

#284446 - 16/07/2006 15:25 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Interesting! It seems to be more of a Shuttle-specific problem then. You don't happen to have this one too, do you?

#284447 - 16/07/2006 22:29 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not sure what one it was, except it was an Intel one. I guess the PSU would be the same though.

Hugo

#284448 - 17/07/2006 08:40 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Have a quick look at the PC motherboard inside the shuttle. I've had two where the capacitors leaked and they both acted really strangely. Odd crashes and sometimes it just wouldn't even power on.

#284449 - 17/07/2006 10:24 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: tman]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Check the O-rings.

#284450 - 15/10/2007 00:20 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I've seen this too, actually - both on my shuttle and a friend's one. The switch is working fine, it's just the PSU seems to have a crisis - just when you think it's toast, it comes on and works fine as if nothing was up.

Have you had any more experiences with this? The computer in question has been doing this ever since I posted this thread. For a while, the amount of time it took to power on had shortened, but then it went up to about 10-15 minutes, and tonight it doesn't look like it wants to power on at all

Has anyone heard about something like this, or have a fix?

#284451 - 15/10/2007 15:28 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Check the O-rings.

#284452 - 16/10/2007 00:36 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Quote:

Have you had any more experiences with this? The computer in question has been doing this ever since I posted this thread. For a while, the amount of time it took to power on had shortened, but then it went up to about 10-15 minutes, and tonight it doesn't look like it wants to power on at all

Has anyone heard about something like this, or have a fix?

This sounds a lot like problems we had with about 30 Dell Optiplexes. Motherboards would slowly fail due to bad/leaking caps, but they managed to take the PSUs with them. PSUs would start failing to where they wouldn't start up

Try this experiment: Before trying to start computer, completely unplug it from AC power and count to 30. We have had a dozen Dells that would refuse to start -- would not respond to the ATX-->PSU signal, but they *would* start if we depowered long enough (to drain caps in the PSU, maybe??)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#284453 - 16/10/2007 01:05 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Try this experiment: Before trying to start computer, completely unplug it from AC power and count to 30. We have had a dozen Dells that would refuse to start -- would not respond to the ATX-->PSU signal, but they *would* start if we depowered long enough (to drain caps in the PSU, maybe??)

I'll try that the next time I need to boot it. For now we're just leaving the machine on, and I've ordered a replacement PSU.

One odd thing I noticed: from a state where the computer was completely unplugged, I could plug it in, wait a couple seconds, and if I then held the power button on the front for about five seconds, the little light on the bluetooth keyboard receiver would light up. It would light for about 10 seconds, then go off. About 15 minutes later the computer booted...

#284454 - 16/10/2007 10:52 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

I'll try that the next time I need to boot it. For now we're just leaving the machine on, and I've ordered a replacement PSU.

One odd thing I noticed: from a state where the computer was completely unplugged, I could plug it in, wait a couple seconds, and if I then held the power button on the front for about five seconds, the little light on the bluetooth keyboard receiver would light up. It would light for about 10 seconds, then go off. About 15 minutes later the computer booted...

That sounds vaguely like ASUS motherboard behaviour. Ugh!

#284455 - 16/10/2007 13:33 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Have you actually looked at the capacitors?

#284456 - 16/10/2007 13:42 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

They all looked fine to me, but I'm not sure if my untrained eye would be able to tell anyway. Still, they appeared to be ok.

#284457 - 16/10/2007 14:39 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
They all looked fine to me, but I'm not sure if my untrained eye would be able to tell anyway. Still, they appeared to be ok.

Usually the top will be bulging or split. The rubber plug on the bottom may have partially come out as well. Its fairly obvious when you see them.

Do you have a spare PSU lying around that you can plug in? You don't have to mount it so it can be a regular sized PSU.

#284458 - 16/10/2007 15:44 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Usually the top will be bulging or split. The rubber plug on the bottom may have partially come out as well. Its fairly obvious when you see them.

Do you have a spare PSU lying around that you can plug in? You don't have to mount it so it can be a regular sized PSU.

I don't, but I have a replacement on order anyway, so I'll see what happens when that comes.

#284459 - 17/10/2007 00:47 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:

FWIW, of the 30 or so failing Dell mobos we just swapped, about half had caps that could be seen to be failing (with bulging, leaking). The other half looked fine, but the boards crapped out nonetheless. So it seems like bad formulation/electrolyte doesn't always result iin a visible problem. And we had one Dell tier-one tech tell us "because it ain't leaking it must be OK and I can't dispatch a swap". Wrong.

Funny, it took a while to find all of these. We'd ask people "Is your Dell working OK?" they'd say "Oh, yeah!'. But then we'd push a few more questions and they'd finally say something like "Well, come to think of it, it does turn itself off occasionally! is that normal???"

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#284460 - 17/10/2007 11:29 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: jimhogan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Funny, it took a while to find all of these. We'd ask people "Is your Dell working OK?" they'd say "Oh, yeah!'. But then we'd push a few more questions and they'd finally say something like "Well, come to think of it, it does turn itself off occasionally! is that normal???"

Well, actually that is normal. Energy Star power savings and all of that.

#284461 - 17/10/2007 19:24 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Well, actually that is normal. Energy Star power savings and all of that.

I was thinking "windows and all of that"...

#284462 - 15/11/2007 03:34 Re: Weird Shuttle problem [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I have a replacement on order anyway, so I'll see what happens when that comes.

Sorry to quote myself, but the replacement came, and in case anyone is interested, it solved the problem. Looks like it had everything to do with a bad PSU, though the behavior was quite odd. You'd think it would either work or fail outright. Regardless, the Shuttle is as good as new.