Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#211368 - 28/03/2004 17:03 Possible specific random function?
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I have my playlists like this:
root - Artists - Albums
And I have a bunch of them selected as Ignore as Child, and I was wondering if instead of the regular root random song function if there was a way to have the player pick one of the albums randomly of the ones not ignored and just play the album from the first track all the way thru til the end of that album(playlist)? Thanks!
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#211369 - 28/03/2004 21:08 Re: Possible specific random function? [Re: SonicSnoop]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Remember that playlists are heirarchal and can exist in multiple places within the tree;

Set up a playlist "Random album" and flag it to always randomise. Copy all your album playlists into it.

Another way that you can achieve something similar to your aim would be to just simply flag your Artists playlist to always randomise. Then hitting DownDownDown without any shuffle will result in a random artist being selected, with all their albums being played in whichever order they appear in that playlist. If you're like me, artists for whom you have multiple albums will have their playlists in chronological order. This means that an unshuffled DDD results in playing all the albums of a random artist in chronological order, which is kinda cool. Admittedly that's not quite what you asked for, but many artists on your player will only have a single album representation so it's a workable approximation, especially as you can easily use the tweak order buttons to modify scourge particular albums/artists on the fly.
You do lose the ability to use DDD to play all albums in 'alphabetical by artist' order. If you really care about such an arbitrary order then you can easily recreate it as a JEmplode Soup. (Tag to ignore as child!)

#211370 - 28/03/2004 21:09 Re: Possible specific random function? [Re: SonicSnoop]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
One way to accomplish this would be to set up a playlist of "Random Albums" where each playlist in it is an album you might potentially want to hear. Then you could set the option to "play X songs at random" where x=1 and the playlist will choose one of the album and play it from start to finish, provided that shuffle isn't on. The big difficulty with this is setting it up in the first place since you'll have to copy all of the album playlists that you like into the new playlist; however it really doesn't take as long as you think, even with say 200 albums.

#211371 - 28/03/2004 22:14 Re: Possible specific random function? [Re: SonicSnoop]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
This has been brought up many times before... but basically, IIRC the player has no way of knowing what is an "album" and what is just a playlist.. On my player, for instance, it would not know whether "B" was an album or a playlist. Maybe we could assign a check box in a playlist that would mark a playlist as an "album" ?

#211372 - 29/03/2004 00:01 Re: Possible specific random function? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
the player has no way of knowing what is an "album" and what is just a playlist..
But for what SonicSnoop wanted to do, it doesn't need to know (as long as each album is a playlist).

#211373 - 29/03/2004 09:59 Re: Possible specific random function? [Re: genixia]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Thank you for the reply, I think I get what you all mean now. I will have to play with it when I get home tonight.. I think I actually like that idea much better maknig a seperate playlist for it. That way I can keep out all albums I do not want to hear, Ones I have just for a single song or whatnot. As for the DDD function I dont use that, I use just the remote in the car. My player is all the way over in my glove box in my VW Bug, So I cant easily reach it while driving. But think I have the solution I want with the new playlist. Ill just name it (Random Album) so it shows up first. Thanks again, If I run into any issues Ill be sure to ask latter on.

-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock