Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#240247 - 05/11/2004 01:29 Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought.
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
(OK, at any point, just jump in and say "Jim you are wicked abnormal!" and I'll factor that in.)

I could really use to relax. I seek a relaxtion device.

Many years ago, I was struck by the fact that listening to many people from the Indian Subcontinent -- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and thereabouts -- speak often gave me very pleasant goosebumps and made me want to nod off. Seriously, when I worked in an ICU, I would send syringes of blood through a pneumatic tube system to the blood gas lab. During evening shift, the blood gas lab tech (from Bangladesh?) would call back and read the results. I always wanted to say "Hey, you got another one you can read me?" P---O---Twoooo. Goose bump city.

Just this week, a female person of this general persuasion called with a computer problem. In the end, I wanted to say "Ummm, could you please call back with another problem?"

In any event, I am on the hunt for books on tape read by people from, well, there. Too much BS in the likes of a Deepak Chopra, but can anyone else suggest some listening/reading along these lines? I have started Googling for Amazon Bangalore to try to find English language books on tape, but nothing yet.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#240248 - 05/11/2004 02:17 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
heh

#240249 - 05/11/2004 02:21 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Jim, you are wicked abnormal!

Not quite books on tape and the bursting into song every 5 minutes might be not produce the required effect but you could try Bollywood films.

#240250 - 05/11/2004 03:01 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
visuvius
addict

Man o man Jim, in the words of the immortal Strongbad, you're crazy go nuts. You could try Bollywood movies, although I don't know how that'd help you considering they speak, well, Hindi. Since it sounds like you basically want to hear someone with an Indian type accent speak, I recommend trying to find the show Namaste America around where you live. It's basically the "Extra" or "ET" of Bollywood. Website is.here

#240251 - 05/11/2004 03:04 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

have you tried calling tech support?

#240252 - 05/11/2004 03:37 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: RobotCaleb]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hehehe, Good one. Nothing like a guy with a thick Hindi accent telling you his name is "Steve". And he's got no idea how to interpret my southern/cajun accent. Not to mention that if you call with a question that issn't in his little book, he has NO idea what to do.

#240253 - 05/11/2004 04:34 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: RobotCaleb]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Damn, you beat me to that one.

#240254 - 05/11/2004 06:41 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
rearviewmirror
journeyman

Loc: Bangalore, India
Yes Jim, you are wicked abnormal! Like others said, call tech support, or, PM me your number and I'll call you collect Just kidding!

I haven't listened to audio CDs of books by Indian authors, but I doubt the narrators will have the accent you're looking for. You might want to check out these movies - East is east, Monsoon wedding, American desi. It seems one of my favourite books is on audio casette too (link).

~Yogi

#240255 - 05/11/2004 10:01 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Jim, I don't really know where you could find what you're looking for, but I don't think you're odd at all. Different things work for different people. I myself find it to be a very nice accent (I used to work with a group of developers from that region of the world. Great group of folks). It doesn't relax me, but oddly enough, a Russian "lullaby" does, whereas in most other languages it would just grate on me.

Good luck in your search.

#240256 - 05/11/2004 18:13 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: lectric]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Quote:
Hehehe, Good one. Nothing like a guy with a thick Hindi accent telling you his name is "Steve". And he's got no idea how to interpret my southern/cajun accent. Not to mention that if you call with a question that issn't in his little book, he has NO idea what to do.

It's even more fun to throw in southern expressions like "my Computer is as dead as a possum on the freeway" or well "fixing this has been about as much fun as cleaning out the horse trailer on a sunny day.."

#240257 - 05/11/2004 20:04 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: siberia37]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
Go to most any urologist. Although you will likely lose your pleasurable association with that accent after the exam.

#240258 - 10/11/2004 02:20 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: webroach]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

tman:
Quote:
Not quite books on tape and the bursting into song every 5 minutes might be not produce the required effect but you could try Bollywood films.

I have actually been meaning to broaden my horizons re: Bollywood. Yeah, not sure about the effect. Post November 2 especially, I am really looking for something that I can plug in some earbuds, kick back on the couch, and maybe doze off!

visuvius:
Quote:
It's basically the "Extra" or "ET" of Bollywood. Website is.here

Heh, Channel 24 in Seattle. I am going to have to break down sometime and get my cable hooked back up. Hmmm, I was briefly in love with the female host of the French ET clone, but I can't seem to find that show now. Has the "ET" format fallen from favor? Oh, well, I did find a *very* relaxing Haagen-Dazs advert on the TF1 Web site. Edit: I remembed -- Emmanuelle Gaume on Exclusif!

l0ser:
Quote:
have you tried calling tech support?

Funny you should mention that. A recent, drawn-out call reminded me of this goose-bump effect. "Awe, do you mean we gotta close the ticket noooow?" Editorial note: I have had *one* call to an outsorced help desk where I had communication difficulties, but I am going to rate my tech support experience when dealing with offshore/outsourced call centers (particularly one Red State computer manufacturer I can think of) better overall than dealing with call centers in the US, many of which are outsourced shops. On average, the folks I spoke with (in Bangalore and elsewhere) were more knowledgeable. Oh, and they put me at ease

rearviewmirror:
Quote:
You might want to check out these movies - East is east, Monsoon wedding, American desi. It seems one of my favourite books is on audio casette too (link).

Thanks, I will. Ah, and that book (missed that first time). I have heard Roy speak on radio. I see the audio book is read by someone named Sarita Choudhury. This might be #1 on my acquisition list. Now to find a cassette player!

webroach
Quote:
Good luck in your search.

Thanks. I don't really think I am that abnormal, either, but it is odd to get to some point in your life where you wake up one morning and go "Man, I'd really like to listen to some Indian folks read mystery novels."

Thanks! I will report back.

Edited by jimhogan (10/11/2004 04:21)

#240259 - 11/11/2004 11:13 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
In any event, I am on the hunt for books on tape read by people from, well, there. Too much BS in the likes of a Deepak Chopra, but can anyone else suggest some listening/reading along these lines? I have started Googling for Amazon Bangalore to try to find English language books on tape, but nothing yet.

I'm currently in Bombay, and the apartment is pretty close to a shopping center that has a pretty good bookstore. I'll try and pop in and see what they have available -- it would be easy enough to bring some back to the US for you...

#240260 - 11/11/2004 11:32 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: canuckInOR]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
canuckInBombay...

#240261 - 11/11/2004 13:47 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
For me it's women speaking in eastern european, south-western irish or australian accents.

Oh no, I misunderstood - they don't make me sleepy
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#240262 - 11/11/2004 14:18 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: Ezekiel]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Okay, so it was an ill-thought out name. I wasn't planning on sticking around after I'd finished my original research on the empeg, but it's such a good BBS, and you've all sort of grown on me. Like a wart, or something.

#240263 - 11/11/2004 14:51 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: frog51]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
For me it's women speaking in eastern european, south-western irish or australian accents.

Oh no, I misunderstood - they don't make me sleepy

If I had to pick someone to listen to chatter away (and not doze off, but just listen and listen) it would have to be a young Scottish woman I met once...

#240264 - 11/11/2004 15:00 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: canuckInOR]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Okay, so it was an ill-thought out name.

Oh, I dunno. Hard to mix you up with britinLITTLEROCK, isn't it?

Quote:
I wasn't planning on sticking around after I'd finished my original research on the empeg, but it's such a good BBS, and you've all sort of grown on me. Like a wart, or something.

Ewwww. You should have that checked!

Seriously, if you didn't stick around, who would be bargain-hunting in Bombay right now, eh?

On that subject, don't put yourself out, but if you happen across anything that looks remotely promising, CDs in particular, then sure. I'd wing it up to ~$100 USD. My taste in reading is pretty catholic (save perhaps romance novels and westerns!) Oh, and did I forget to say "Thanks!" ?

What is it about listening to these voices? (And I have to say I am wary of generalizing...falling into a stereotype) There is something formal, calm, somewhat confiding in the manner of speech that I find relaxing......snooze.

Edited by jimhogan (11/11/2004 15:24)

#240265 - 11/11/2004 15:21 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
music
addict

Quote:
it would have to be a young Scottish woman I met once...

I met a Scottish girl in Dallas once.
She had the most interesting blend of a Scottish accent and a Texas accent.
I've never heard anything like it before or since.
But it was fantastic!
I briefly considered proposing within minutes of meeting her....
Of course, it probably didn't hurt that she was incredibly attractive as well.
And miniskirts were in fashion and... sorry, my mind was wandering there. That was long ago.
Anyway.
I wonder whatever happened to her.

#240266 - 11/11/2004 21:00 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: music]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

#240267 - 16/11/2004 06:11 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, so it was an ill-thought out name.

Oh, I dunno. Hard to mix you up with britinLITTLEROCK, isn't it?

I suppose it is, at that.

Quote:
Seriously, if you didn't stick around, who would be bargain-hunting in Bombay right now, eh?

I wouldn't know. I'm sure there'd be someone. There's always someone. I guess I'm someone for a change.

Hmm... I'm suddenly reminded of Stuart Smally.

Quote:
On that subject, don't put yourself out, but if you happen across anything that looks remotely promising, CDs in particular, then sure. I'd wing it up to ~$100 USD. My taste in reading is pretty catholic (save perhaps romance novels and westerns!) Oh, and did I forget to say "Thanks!" ?

Sadly, the thanks is premature. I looked over every single shelf in the largest, most modern bookshop I 've yet been to here, and nada. No books on tape (or CD) to be had, English or Hindi. The closest I could find were some Hindi spiritual chants. I asked around, and everyone just says there aren't any -- they're not popular here. I can understand why -- it's not generally a good idea to walk or drive around not paying attention to your surroundings. Besides, you wouldn't be able to hear anything over the honking horns.

So... I could ask about for some recommended English language Bollywood DVDs, if you wish -- it looks as though it's the only other alternative. I'm only a 5 minute walk to the mall, so it's not really putting me out of my way.

Quote:
What is it about listening to these voices? (And I have to say I am wary of generalizing...falling into a stereotype) There is something formal, calm, somewhat confiding in the manner of speech that I find relaxing......snooze.

Hmm... get the Simpsons DVDs, and edit all the Apoo segments into one long reel?

#240268 - 16/11/2004 16:59 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: jimhogan]
kayakjazz

Loc: Bay Area, CA/Anchorage, AK
Try some of the Vedanta meditation tapes; there are many available. I'll try to find a link for you. They are purposely designed to relax you into a somewhat altered state of mind. See:www.bliss-music.com; vedanta.com for starters.

Edited by kayakjazz (16/11/2004 17:43)

#240269 - 19/11/2004 08:41 Re: Wacko relaxation exercise advice sought. [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So... I could ask about for some recommended English language Bollywood DVDs, if you wish -- it looks as though it's the only other alternative.

Well, the only two english Bollywood movies that were suggested have already made it to the US theatres, but here's the short list that was given to me:

Quote:
1-monsoon wedding(hinglish)
2-bend it like beckam(hinglish)
3- satya (good one)
4-pyassa, kagaz ke phool (check out gurudutt directed films,oldies)
5-mughal-e-azam(classic)
6-utsav
7-umrao jaan
8-bandit queen
9-kaamsutra (erotic)
10-sholay (ultimate hindi experience!)
also check out amitabh bachhan films like diwaar etc. then there are
masoom, arth, sarransh etc ("art films")