Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281410 - 13/05/2006 17:54 Strange request for empeg meet - rocks!
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I have a strange request for those attending the empeg meet. I would appreciate it if everyone bring a rock (yes, a rock) from wherever your point of origin is. Let me explain...

My brother has a fresh water fish tank, and a collection of rocks from various locations in the US. He recently asked a friend of his that is traveling to China to get a rock from there as well to add to his list, so he is expanding internationally...

So, I thought it would be cool if empeg meet attendees would bring a rock to the meet. It does not need to be very large or exotic in any way, a common rock that would be no bigger than would fit in your pocket. But please attach a label indicating the point of origin.

I would also ask that some random volunteer at the meet collect the rocks and ship them to me in the US. I would, of course, take care of any shipping charges, etc.

Thanks!

#281411 - 14/05/2006 15:52 Re: Strange request for empeg meet - rocks! [Re: pgrzelak]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Shoot, I have some rocks that your brother would probably love...coated glass-like rocks from Beirut, pieces of rock sarcophagus from Tyre, pure salt rocks from the Dead Sea, layered sandstone rocks from Petra, a plain old rock swiped from Oskar Schindler's grave in Jerusalem (to name a few). Unfortunately, I'm not willing to give them up, but if you are still interested, I can pick up some extra rocks the next time I take a trip to any of these locations. Shipping costs from the Middle East might be a bugger, though.

#281412 - 14/05/2006 16:06 Re: Strange request for empeg meet - rocks! [Re: Cybjorg]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Quote:
...I have some rocks that your brother would probably love... I'm not willing to give them up

I found that to be cruel to the point of being funny

#281413 - 14/05/2006 16:15 Re: Strange request for empeg meet - rocks! [Re: Cybjorg]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
My brother has a fresh water fish tank, and a collection of rocks

[...]
Quote:
pure salt rocks from the Dead Sea

Good-oh

Peter

#281414 - 14/05/2006 18:08 Re: Strange request for empeg meet - rocks! [Re: peter]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You'd also do well to avoid anything lime or calcium-based. The sandstone might be out as well.

Paul, if your brother is into freshwater he probably knows to acid-test any rocks before putting them in the tank - but remind him just in case.

Bruno

#281415 - 15/05/2006 05:24 Re: Strange request for empeg meet - rocks! [Re: peter]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
Quote:
My brother has a fresh water fish tank, and a collection of rocks

[...]
Quote:
pure salt rocks from the Dead Sea

Good-oh

The thought crossed my mind as I was typing it, but I decided to add it anyway.