In reply to:

Point of order, kind sir! Atheism --whatever else this odd state may be -- is not a religion.

Incorrect. The link Tony posted is also incorrect.

The fact that "Nearly every dictionary will define religion as belief in a divine or superhuman power or powers to be obeyed a worshiped as the creator(s) and ruler(s) of the universe" is true, but it is not the only definition. You will also find that nearly every dictionary will also define religion as "a set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader" and/or "a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion". You might also examine the definition of atheist, which is typically defined as "one who disbelieves or denies the existence of a god, or supreme intelligent being". Thus, if I wish to pursue my non-beliefs with zeal and conscientious devotion, I should be able to enjoy the privilege of calling my atheism religion. And why would I wish to be associated with such a repugnant concept as traditional, supreme-being based religion? Because an Atheist is at least as devoted to his or her beliefs as your average American follower of a bible based religion, and thus should be able to enjoy the benefits of being recognized as a religion. I feel strongly that if Christians should be able to designate a myriad of days "holidays" due to their beliefs, and feel that they should not be expected to have to attend their places of employment on these days, then a devout Atheist should at least be able to enjoy a holiday of their own.

I would also like to comment on the somewhat confused commentary that Tony linked to. The author begins by pointing out how disturbingly wrong (and even insulting) the definitions of many dictionaries are, and then goes on to use said dictionary definitions to back up his or her argument. I can only hope that they are two completely different essays that had the misfortune of being combined as one without adequate review.