How hard would it be to implement something in the player software so that every menu option had a serial command to activate it? Many of the menu options are static and don't change at all, and I can't think of any that change inbetween syncs.

Stay with me here as I work this out in my head as I type... The entire interface once you hit the down button can in theory be thought of as a tree, and it shouldn't be too hard to generate a unique number indentifying each node as you traverse it.

So, we turn on "spew" mode, and the player software starts spewing out the code for each menu option as you go into it. Find the thing you want to create a shortcut to, look at the last code on the terminal, and you're all set...

Want to be able to insert "your song" at the right time towards the end of a date? Map the Stun button (your remote does have a stun button, right?) to inserting it. Want to be able to switch to your favorite visual? Go right ahead... Hijack would have to include these in it's IR translation, but the kernel is open source and i'm sure someone would step forward. (more likely, if someone could beat Mark to it)

Much of this can be accomplished through hijack macros, but that's an ugly kludge. Creating a serial command for anything automaticaly would be great for all empeg developers doing anything that wanted to interact with the player.

This is a half baked idea, and I'm sure it would be a pain to implement, but it seems usefull to me... What does everyone think?

Matthew