What it boils down to is that you must have hardware "in kind" on the receiving end of your access point client. On netgear's web site the gave me the illusion that it could work as an access point client for any access point ... in reality it only does this with another ME102 ... or in the case of a Linksys WAP11 (same hardware, different name) another WAP11 in the back.

It'd be nice if they were clear on this before they sold it to me. And the tech support guys at both companies couldn't of course spell it out like that ... they had to tell me that AP client mode doesn't work like that, it's not meant to work like that. They continued to tell me that AP client mode wasn't what I wanted. When asked what I did want, they said (I'm not shitting here) an ethernet wire from my router to the machine I want to connect it to.

I asked them to envision a pit of lava surrounding the machine I wished to plug the ME102 into ... that there was no possibility to run a wire across. At that point he gave up on the call and hung up on me.

Linksys tech support wouldn't let me get that far ... they heard my initial story and put me on eternal hold ... the kind that says "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial again." Twice.

If the Orinoco ethernet converter weren't twice the price of a WET11, I'd definitely rather not give these two jackasses my money anymore.

Greg