I'm still in the middle of getting my system completely tuned and kick a**. So far it sounds great but I'm looking for a little more quality sound during the higher volumes. Please bear with me as I describe my system so you have enough information to give an educated response.

System so far in a 2002 Land Rover Discovery
- Empeg
- Diamond Audio Hex 600s Components
- Diamond Audio m361i Coaxials
- Diamond Audio D7054 (50Wx4) Amp
- CDT MS-80 8" Sub in custom fiberglass enclosure

The components and the coxials are run from channels 1 & 2 of the amp. The sub is bridged on channels 3 & 4. The first thing I did to improve the sound was to switch the sub (originally a Diamond Audio 8") to a bazooka sub. This helped a lot in the low end but was distorting during high volumes. Next I upgraded the sub again to a CDT M80 which has been reviewed as the best 8" sub available. Now the bass really kicks (most people would think they were listening to a 12"). Finally I spent about 6 hours tuning the system via the built in active crossovers on the amp (the DA Amps house some of the best crossovers available on the market). (Little fact - Diamond Audio used to be called Esoteric). Anyway.. I now have my system tuned great with all EQ, Loudness, BASS and Treble settings at zero. I'm able to achieve a high volume before any distortion but I want a little more (mainly in the midbass and very low bass fequencies).

Would adding a 2nd AMP help? From my understanding, the more power (within reason) you have available on the system, the less the amps have to work and overall get better imaging throughout the spectrum. My analogy is with lifting weights. A weak person works much harder to lift the same amount of weight that a very strong person lifts. And the strong person does it more finess and has more enegery left over to do it again.

My idea is to add a second 2 channel Diamond Audio Amp and bridge the 2 channels to run the sub (approx 300W @ 4ohm). Then I would use the original amp to run the components on channels 1 & 2 and the rear coaxials on channels 3 & 4. This will also give me the oppurtunity to use the crossovers seperately on the components vs. the coaxials.

So.. Would the 2nd amp give my system more leverage and flexiblity to produce quality sound at a higher volume?

Thanks for reading and look forward to the replies.

Rob

Edited by CruzThs (02/07/2002 23:55)