I did look this over and my answer to each is below each item.

You're plugging it into a 100-megabit hub or switch. The car player only works on 10baseT. If you want it to participate on a 100baseT network, it must be plugged into a switch with 10/100 autosensing ports.

I AM USING A 10/100 NETWORK CARD, I AM CONNECTING DIRECTLY UP TO THE CARD FROM THE PLAYER

Sometimes even autosensing ports aren't enough. You might have to "force" the port into 10mbps half-duplex mode on some switches. If your switch doesn't let you do this, check to see if things work on a separate 10mbps-only hub.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS APPLIES TO ME DOES IT? I AM NOT USING A HUB OR SWITCH

Sometimes even forcing it into 10mbps mode is not enough. It has been reported that certain 10/100 hubs/switches simply refuse to work with the car player. Just because the link lights appear and the '10mbps' light is lit, doesn't mean that it will work. Check to see if things work on a separate 10mbps-only hub.

AGAIN SEE ANSWER ABOVE

You have a bad or incorrectly wired cable. Try a different cable, preferably a "known good" cable from a reliable connection to another device. I don't care if you get a Link light with the current cable, the light doesn't mean diddly-squat. I don't care if the cable passes a continuity test, either, because there can be errors in the way the pairs are twisted that won't show up on a continuity test. Just try a "known good" cable to rule out the cabling as a possible problem.

THE CABLE IS BRAND NEW….I KNOW THAT THAT DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT IT IS A “GOOD WORKING” CROSSOVER CABLE

You're plugging it straight into your PC's ethernet jack with a regular cable. For that kind of a connection, you need a special crossover cable with its transmit and receive wires swapped. Regular cables are for plugging into hubs.

I USING A CROSSOVER CABLE (CAT5E)

You just upgraded the software and you accidentally put the Mark 1 (car1) build of the software on your Mark 2/Rio player. Ethernet does not exist on the Mark 1 player, so it's not enabled in that build of the software.

I AM RUNNING 2.00B11

You've got the player set for DHCP but your network is fixed-addressing, or vice versa.

I NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING THIS ONE.

You're on a different subnet than the player. The first three IP address octets of your PC must match the first three IP address octets of the car player. For instance, if you are on 192.168.0.54, then the player must be on 192.168.0.something before you can talk to it. You can check the player's IP address by choosing the "About" menu from the front panel.

I GOT THE DHCP ADDRESS OFF OF THE PLAYER(ASSUMING THAT IS THE ONE I NEED, BECAUSE 3 DIFFERENT ADDRESSES SHOW UP, ETHO MAC, ETHO IP, DHCP. WHERE DO I HAVE TO INPUT THE ADDRESS?

The player's IP address conflicts with another existing IP address on the network.

THIS IS THE ONLY CONNECTION

You entered values into the "Gateway" field without knowing what it means. In most cases, the gateway should be blank if the player is on the same network as your PC. (A gateway is a device that connects separate networks, such as a DSL or cable router.)

SO I GUESS THAT I WILL NOT ENTER ANYTHING IN THAT FIELD…THAT I UNDERSTAND

You accidentally tried plugging your USB cable into the ethernet port and bent the pins (don't feel bad, I actually did this once). Or worse, you tried to plug a telephone wire into the ethernet jack, also bending the pins (you're perfectly welcome to feel bad about doing that one, be my guest). Either contact support or carefully repair the pins as shown here in this movie (562k mpeg).

I READ THIS BEFORE TRYING TO HOOK IT UP AND WAS CAREFUL NOT TO DO THIS

There might be a piece of firewall software getting in the way. For example, the personal firewall built into Windows XP (details here), or a third-party program like BlackICE Defender or ZoneAlarm. You can temporarily disable these things to see if ethernet starts working. If it does, then work on configuring the firewall to allow Emplode to talk to the player without compromising your security.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THERE IS ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON THE COMPUTER.

SORRY ABOUT THE FORMAT. i NEED TO LEARN HTML AS WELL I GUESS.

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS CONNECT TO JEMPLODE AND USE IT TO CREATE PLAYLISTS FOR EACH ARTIST. DOING IT LIKE THAT WILL SAVE ME A LOT OF WORK FOR THOSE ARTISTS THAT I DO NOT HAVE A PLAYLIST FOR. YOU REPLIED TO A POST I MADE A WHILE BACK EXPLAINING HOW TO DO IT AND I AM JUST NOW GETTING AROUND TO DOING IT.

MK2 12Gb
MK2a 60Gb