I'm not sure who makes the Honda Odyssey headunits, but it got terrific reception.

Right now, I'll get, say, 4 out of 5 on the signal strength meter. For FM, it's spotty. Sometimes the signal comes and goes as if it's playing hard-to-get. Sometimes it's good, until I go down a hill or make a wrong turn (well, at least for the tuner). Even then I always feel "I might lose it. Uh-oh. There it goes again!" That sort of thing.

Previously, that was never a problem, and certainly not 40 miles from New York City. You might think "is it the absence of a certain pair of tall towers?" Well, the Acura I own had comparable reception before, and it still does now (looks like a similar make headunit too, but that could just be the Acura-Honda relationship and not what's inside the headunit).

For AM, I usually listen to WCBS 880 or Bloomberg (forget the freq. at the moment). As an example, 880's signal strength appears to be borderline 5 out of 5 on the display, but I get an INCREDIBLY HUGE amount of static. Like why bother listening, that kind of static.

I did send email to Sonic Blue support, BTW. They recommend the following troubleshooting steps (some of which I've done already but will definitely do again):

1. Check that you have the tuner mode set to the correct region in emplode (File>Configure player>Tuner). By default it should be in US mode.

[It is.]

2. If you have the extension cable fitted, disconnect it and connect the tuner directly to the car sled.

[This I did NOT do. I read about the possibility of the crossed wires in the FAQ, but they did not appear crossed. Still, it's worth a shot.]

3. Check that all the wires on the car sled are firmly attached and not damaged.

[Wow, I hope not. I'll re-check, of course.]

4. Check that the antenna booster is receiving the required current.

[For that I need to measure it. Working that issue.]

5. If you have only ever tried the tuner with the booster fitted, try without it.

[Good suggestion. Actually, the signal strength issue is why I got the booster.]

6. If the antenna booster is factory fitted, check that it does not require an adapter to properly power it.

[It definitely requires power to its red line.]

7. If you have a steering column remote attached to the tuner, try disconnecting it.

[Already done, though I do intend to reconnect it someday.]

For those who are curious, here are the specs for the booster (posted elsewhere, but here 'tis again for context):

Booster body: 18mm; Antenna cable length: 300mm; Power length: 500mm;
Freq. Response typical for FM/AM/SW/LW frequency ranges; Voltage: DC12V;
Power Consumption: Less than 10mA; Electrostatic Capacitance: 80pf.

I have it connected to the blue power antenna wire on the tuner module.

Finally, here's what the booster looks like:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=4916&BQ=jcw2