OK, update on the silvery filter...

I have been using it for a few days now and it is completely acceptable for everyday use. Well... with a few exceptions.
  1. The first day when I took the initial pictures the sun was shining directly on the screen. It got quite unreadable. Since then, this has not happened again.
  2. I drive a manual transmission car. As such, my arm is often reflects off the empeg's screen. My arm is white... as in I-don't-go-outside-and-get-tan white. When my arm is visible in the screen, that section is more difficult to read.
  3. I have black leather seats. I can always see their reflection in on the screen. I would imagine a lighter color interior might produce the same effect as my arm being in front of the screen.

That said, the color of the VFD comes through the same as if you were using the clear lens alone. And, I think I like the colored filter better (green is the only color I have at the moment). That is just personal opinion. As for flashy looks alone, the silvery filter is probably cooler.