I happen to live on a rather narrow, thickly settled residential street. The speed limit here is 25. Drunk or not, everyone comes up this hill at least 10mph over that.

Last year, someone was going down the hill well over the speed limit. The official told me he was going at least 55. The reason we know is because he was very drunk. On this narrow street, he managed to miss at least 6 other cars before plowing into mine. I had an '89 Civic; he was driving an '89 extended Ford van. That van went airborne after hitting my car, was deflected off a tree, and landed in the street, on its side, with the driver under it. They say he died instantly. I don't think he would have felt anything anyway, being that drunk.

This all happened around 11pm on a Tuesday, a time when I could very well have just been getting home and stepping out of my car. I was severely inconvenienced by losing my car. But I eventually bought another.

This, by the way, is the only accident I've ever heard of where only the drunk driver got hurt. After that incident, I've been very conscientious about speeding and drunk drivers, especially here at home.