The following is how i managed to get it to work on my empeg. i found the info on the bbs very difficult to decypher since i knew nothing about linux commands, how to telnet, or all of this for that matter. all i had was a bit of MS-DOS under my belt and it took a few hours here 'n there. genixia's script helped VERY MUCH and i'm thankful for it. some of the text below is copied from his/her thread. i hope no one minds but i just had to compile all pertinant info into a single set of instructions so newbies (like me) could enjoy games. so thanks to genixia and tfabris!

-Make sure you have the newest developer version of v2.00-beta13 installed.

-Make sure Hijack is installed.

-Download these 2 files from riocar.org:

empeg-preinit.v3.tar.gz
emptelnetd.tar

-Download bbs user genixia's attachement file "105015-mkprgpt.txt" and rename it mkprgpt from the thread, /programs and preinit - the easy way:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hackers_prog&Number=108053&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

-Open Hyperterminal (Telnet) using the special settings for the car player.

Check this faq entry for a how-to on this:
http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=7&categories=Upgrade%2C+customization%2C+and+third-party+software+questions#82

-Using Telenet, connect to the player and press "q" to get a shell prompt. Then type "rw" to make the root drive writeable and leave that connection open...

-Using an ftp to connect to your empeg ip address, upload the following 3 files to the /empeg/bin directory:

mkprgpt
emptelnetd.tar
empeg-preinit (extract it from the .tar file first)

-Using Telenet, type each of the following command lines:

mv empeg-preinit /bin/hijack
chmod 755 /bin/hijack

tar xf emptelnetd.tar
chmod 755 devs
mv telnetd /bin
chmod 755 /bin/telnetd
./devs
rm ./devs

chmod 755 mkprgpt
./mkprgpt

-mkprgpt should have left all the drives read-only, so you should now be able to safely reboot..
After rebooting, you should be able to telnet into the empeg, and you'll find a new partition at /programs0 ready for your apps. (and also /programs1 if you have 2 drives). To make these new paritions writeable, run "rwp". Remember to run "rop" before rebooting to make them read-only again, although at 32MB, they shouldn't take long to fsck if you forget.

-Using the Telenet, type the following command line to make the partition(s) writable:

cd /programs0
rwp

-Using an ftp, copy the "empacman" file (inside empacman_v1.zip) to /programs0

-Using Telenet, type the following command line to make the file executable:

chmod 755 /programs0/empacman
rop

-Make sure you don't forget the last 'rop' command. then reboot the empeg and empacman should be in the hijack menu.